Improving power of old Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saintpaul

Reaction score
Ive just bought an old '86 2.5L diesel Navara dual cab.

It runs nicely but lacks a little power going up hills.
When I bought it I was told it had a leaking injector, not sure if that is the cause of the lack of power.

Im not very mechanically minded at all so are there any easy/cheap things I can do to increase its performance?

Also can I get some kind of turbo to put on it?

Cheers

Paul

you will need to check which motor you have. it could be either SD25 or the TD25.
if its TD25 then you could either turbo it or fit TD27T in its place.

I went and lifted the bonnet and stared at all of the bits and pieces for a while and it is definitely a SD25.

One thing i did notice that I thought to be a bit odd was that the air intake points backwards.

08302009444.jpg

Im assuming getting it to face the other way will help it out a bit. Its a shame its all bolted down

Don't stress about it pointing backwards. The engine sucks air in regardless. Its not the car moving forward that pushed air in (otherwise we'd need to turn it around to go in reverse!).

It's an old engine. They're reliable, but trying to get more out of it is only going to shorten its life. Make sure you keep up the services regularly, and she'll be right.

Latest posts

Back