Mechanical front lokka issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yetti2688

Reaction score
Hey guys
Just wondering if any one has had any trouble with there 4wd systems lokka
Im looking at buying one in the next 2 weeks
Eg
Brokin cv joints and how often have the brokin
Or brokin any other front diff parts with this lokka

I have heard alot of differant stories and mates saying dont buy one go a air or e lokker but for the price mechanical one is a lot better so if any one has any info plz let me know if im wasting my money

I've had my Lokka for about 6 months now, no mechanical issues at all. The beauty of the lokka is the ability to walk through things that took a bit of welly before, so to my mind you are less likely to break stuff, not more.
Go for it, spend the money you were going to spend on an air locker on other fun stuff, you will have a lot of dollars left over!

Bob

Having a Autolocker in the rear is good off road but better in the front if u only have one & just rely on the LSD in the Rear. I've got F&R Autolockers in my Vitara and when it "was" my daily driver it was a bit of a PITA when it came to tight cornering like in carparks, etc. With only one locker, I would put it the front..... IF u have plenty of $$, then that's another story.....

I'm considering a lokka as its a fair saving over the others. I Like the idea of the new e'lockers coming out but bloody expensive. Only thing thats worries me with the lokka is how it will effect steering on a tight hill. One of my mates has on in his patrol, might take it for a spin. Hell of a saving to put towards something else though!

I just thought the front being IFS with the already weak CVs wont handle it?
I had a Blown VX Calais that I put a Mini spool in and being IRS always use to snap driveshafts.

So far ive only tested mine twice.
Its great. Crawls up shit heaps easier. Uses a lot less right foot,and havnt spun the wheels since installing it.
I would say its the best mod for the front diff of ifs vehicle.

The rear has a decent lsd in it so Ill leave it alone for now.Of course if money was no object and I needed to spend some for retail therapy then i would be researching an air or e locker for the rear.

The only drama Ive had with the lokka is getting the correct thickness shims to obtain minimum clearnces when fitting it, as I warned in other threads.

Hey guys
Just wondering if any one has had any trouble with there 4wd systems lokka
Im looking at buying one in the next 2 weeks
Eg
Brokin cv joints and how often have the brokin
Or brokin any other front diff parts with this lokka

I have heard alot of differant stories and mates saying dont buy one go a air or e lokker but for the price mechanical one is a lot better so if any one has any info plz let me know if im wasting my money

Go ahead and get one....for the front

the guys here with them reckon they're great....again, do a search there is threads about the 4WD systems LOKKA

Its great. Crawls up shit heaps easier. Uses a lot less right foot,and havnt spun the wheels since installing it.

The rear has a decent lsd in it so Ill leave it alone for now.Of course if money was no object and I needed to spend some for retail therapy then i would be researching an air or e locker for the rear.

The only drama Ive had with the lokka is getting the correct thickness shims to obtain minimum clearnces when fitting it, as I warned in other threads.

that reminds me, i was totally supposed to give ya a call about the particulars of shimming, i didn't bother when i installed mine, which means it's probably not in as good as it could be. but the lokka works, that much is certain

I just thought the front being IFS with the already weak CVs wont handle it?
I had a Blown VX Calais that I put a Mini spool in and being IRS always use to snap driveshafts.

Just have to change your driving style with the lokka. Like Others have said, less right foot and just crawl though stuff. If you lift a front wheel and then drop her back down with shit loads of revs it won't do the cv's much good.

Hey mate, could you post a link to the other thread about the shims! I'm interested in reading it.

Cheers Pete

Just have to change your driving style with the lokka. Like Others have said, less right foot and just crawl though stuff. If you lift a front wheel and then drop her back down with shit loads of revs it won't do the cv's much good.

Lifting the front wheel with shit loads of revs is no good 'WITHOUT' a lokka fitted because your front wheel is in the air is spinning a great rate of knots. When it comes back down and hits terra firma, you snap a CV joint. Having a lokka fitted usually means that the front wheel that is in the air is only spinning as fast as the wheel that is on the ground i.e. a slower rate, so damage is reduced greatly.

Sure you do have to change your driving style with a lokka fitted but only when doing slow tight turns in a car park etc. And even then it is only minimal.

Lifting the front wheel with shit loads of revs is no good 'WITHOUT' a lokka fitted because your front wheel is in the air is spinning a great rate of knots. When it comes back down and hits terra firma, you snap a CV joint. Having a lokka fitted usually means that the front wheel that is in the air is only spinning as fast as the wheel that is on the ground i.e. a slower rate, so damage is reduced greatly.

Sure you do have to change your driving style with a lokka fitted but only when doing slow tight turns in a car park etc. And even then it is only minimal.

Yeah sorry that's right. Makes sense.

Is it harder to turn like you say even when not in 4wd? You mentioned tight carparks?

Pete

Hey mate, could you post a link to the other thread about the shims! I'm interested in reading it.

Cheers Pete

In the DIY section,
180% joes how to fit lokka thread,
and in the test section, foxbats piccy test thread.

I will try to add more for clarity in joes thread when I get a chance

Is it harder to turn like you say even when not in 4wd? You mentioned tight carparks?

Pete

Hey Pete, It is 'slightly' different in tight turns when not in 4wd. The difflock is permanently locked and unlocks when you turn (which then allows 'differential' action) whether it is in 4wd or not. When in 4wd the power applied via the drive train attempts to keep it locked all the time but it can still unlock for corners. However, the more power you apply, the harder it locks. It's quite ingenious, in its simplicity too.

I don't even feel it while driving these days. It's pretty much 'un-noticeable'.

Foxy

Pete

Hey Pete, It is 'slightly' different in tight turns when not in 4wd. The difflock is permanently locked and unlocks when you turn (which then allows 'differential' action) whether it is in 4wd or not. When in 4wd the power applied via the drive train attempts to keep it locked all the time but it can still unlock for corners. However, the more power you apply, the harder it locks. It's quite ingenious, in its simplicity too.

I don't even feel it while driving these days. It's pretty much 'un-noticeable'.

Foxy

The thing with d22s is when you have it in 2wd with the hubs unlocked the front diff/drive shaft/cv's are doing nothing so the steering won't change. You will only notice it there when the hubs are locked. D40s on the other hand have permanent front hubs so the front diff is turning over even when the car is in 2wd, that's why the steering feels different

Pete

Pete
You have d22 with free wheeling hubs so lokka is doing sweet fa in 2wd.
Foxbat has d40. I believe you don't unlock these hubs? So his will be slightly different?
Is this right Fox?

Back