Camping in July

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryc

Reaction score
I originally posted this on the NSWNOG list but obviously noone but me seems to go there. Well at least the last week. Anyway, copied and pasted here to see if anyone has some suggestions.
Might as well throw this in here. The Boss has started asking where are we going for the July School holidays?

Dates, if anyone needs them are Saturday 3-th June to Sunday 15th July
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...vacations.html

So we are looking for somewhere quiet for a standing camp between roughly 400-800kms away from Sydney. If basic facilities (toilet and water), then $5/night, otherwise free. Ideally with a source of wood for a nightly fire. Level ground and a clear sunny spot(solar panels and thawing out) complete the requirements.

Woops and plenty of stuff for The Boss to photograph (bark patterns, dead trees, feathered birds, textures, patterns, etc).

Any suggestions.

i can think of a couple of places where the weather usualy isnt to bad watagan state forrest there are a few designated camp grounds there with pit toilets advise taking your own though free campimg plenty fire wood exit f3 at mandalong rd morriset, lake sinclair near singleton $18 per night hot showers and flush toilets take own fire wood there is a kiosk for ice etc travel to singleton via newcastle freeway or putty road suitable for vans has boat ramp good fishing, depending on what type pf set up you have i know of quite a few places up this way pm me and ill try and help also know of a few south and west of sydney

We liked the idea of Macquarie Woods (halfway between Bathurst and Orange) in June but I don't think that's going to happen. Like last year, I suspect there'll be a lot of snow this year.

Polblue will probably suffer the same fate, it's 400m higher than the highest point in the Blue Mountains and it's about 6.5 hours' drive from your place, Terry (2 hours west of Gloucester). Polblue is not completely flat but it's not too bad. It's National Parks but I think campfires are okay in designated areas. There is probably a cost to stay overnight and there's the chance they'll close the road on you anyway if the snow gets deep enough. Snow chains are recommended.

Timor Caves (west of Polblue, east of Scone) isn't a bad spot I'm told, no idea about campfires, there are no toilets or drinking water provided and they charge a modest fee (I believe it's very cheap). www.timorcaves.com

If you like wine, head to Mudgee and stay at the Mudgee Riverside Caravan Park. It's on the edge of town, all facilities, and vineyards are all around the place.

Hill End's "Village Campground" costs $20 for a powered site per night (NPWS) but it's not bad. No drinking water, but toilets are there and I'm told the pub sells halfway reasonable food. There's another campground a little out of town but it's fairly uneven ground.

Firstly, apologies for not being specific enough. I'm looking for a site for 7(no house sitter) to 21(house sitter) days that I can just set up camp over a few days and then plonk my arse and enjoy.

John, I know about the Watagans and other places, but we keep those for long weekend get aways. <Should we use the NSWNOG section to list those places?>

Hill End, maybe one day, but we've been in that area a few times already this year and I'm not sure I want to spend that much time there now. Also been to Timor Caves a few decades ago and not sure I want to try sliding this figure into some of the caves there.

A major part of our problem is that neither of us have good circulation, hence the seeking of firewood on hand to overcome a cold place. The deep pockets was that we've just shelled out a fair bit on add-ons for the Nav and camping upgrades and needed to see if we can get away for minimal expense. If we have to pay, I've worked out that for $20 we can get electricity for the heaters but I'd rather not.

Tony. We have been to Polblue. Yes, it costs, but when we were there there was no way of paying and they didn't ask. It was the January before the last NSW election and it was brisk overnight, but very enjoyable. It was a real shame we had to leave and descend into some of the hottest days that year. I can not remember if the locking gate is the Moonan Flat side of Polblue or beyond it.

Snow; nice, and I even have a pair of cross country skis that really need the rust worked off them, but I strongly suspect that it isn't going to happen this year. Apart from the fact that I'd probably just continually fall over these days.

Now, I have performed a little bit of research and basically decided it will probably have to be North Coast, if anywhere, as anywhere on the Great Divide or west of it has been having some very cold nights.

As it warms up, we will look at all that bush Canberra-Bega, Oberon and places like Coolah Tops, Mt Kaputar, Warrambungles and the Styx River.

Well, north coast is the plan, but then you find out that some places can still have over night temperatures <5 deg and there has been some this year. BRRR. So big open sunny spots are high on the list.

UncySpam said:
Dunn's Swamp (don't let the name fool you!) is a great place to camp for a week or two, though it might be a bit cold for a July camp.

What a beautiful place!! Near rylestone! I love it there.
Nice rocks too jump off. But as you said, bit cold in july!

We've wanted to visit Dunns Swamp but with a little doggy they'd just turn us around and send us on our way again. Pics of the place look really nice, and people who've been there swear it's a nice place.

Wellington Caves are nice. We spent a couple of days there. Ask for a site in the lower areas, the ones closer to the Fossil Track are a bit steep. It's run by Wellington Council and rates aren't too bad. There are two caves and a phosphate mine. Cathedral Cave is absolutely worth every step and so is the phosphate mine. Gaden Cave is a little boring. In town, go to Kimbells Kitchen (it's on the Mitchell Highway at one of the roundabouts, hard to miss). Absolutely AWESOME pies. Coffee is reasonable.

nice place up near macksville called gumma reserve has drop toilet and water no shower take your own free camping pretty good fishing for flatties usually has wood but its not hard to get if you do want a proper shower go into local caravan place pay a couple of dollars. another good one is up at byron its a few dollars a night i was there last july but ill have to look up the directions again to get to it.kev

Latest posts

Back