The better engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering what the general opinion is when it comes to the 2006 and 2008 engines?

Which is better? 2.5 CR or the 3Lt turbo diesel.

I have a 2006 with the 3Lt and a 2008 with the 2.5CR, want to spend some money fixing up one for a trip around OZ in a couple of years but not sure which is going to be the better option/performer.

Any input would be much appreciated!

The ZD30 injection system is older and if you get some bad fuel somewhere on your way it will be cheaper to repair.

Commonrail injector's I have have heard can be $900 each and $3000 for the high pressure pump.

ZD30 injectors can be had for $200 each and about $3000 for the injection pump.

Both motor's will perfom the task your asking easy enough though.

Dave.

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

+1.

The 2.5l drivers will say the 2.5l and the 3.0l drivers will say the 3.0l. You have driven both. What is your perception of them?

My opinion is I don't know why Nissan would go to a 2.5l motor when all the competition are running a 3l. I can't see the sense in running a smaller motor on the absolute edge (D40 120Kw+). Also why would they go from a 110kw motor to a 98kw motor in the D22. Also the towing capacity has dropped and to top it all off they are now built in Thailand.

All I know is that the lady I bought my Nav from went out and bought a new 2009 D22 and she was pretty disappointed with the power and the initial fuel consumption(She has since said fuel consumption has improved). Her main complaint is with towing. We live in a very hilly area and she said the 09 keeps running out of puff up the big hills.

Mods to the 2.5 common rail would be fairly limited to a chip and exhaust. I personally wouldn't run gas on a common rail motor. Too many horror stories.

Overall, either truck will be more than capable doing the job, it just depends on what you are wanting from your driving experience.

Last edited:
+1.

My opinion is I don't know why Nissan would go to a 2.5l motor when all the competition are running a 3l.

I heard the reason Nissan went with the smaller 2.5CRD motor was for environmental reasons. The older 3.0lt was too dirty for the EU standards.

Just what I hear. The lack of power on the 2.5CRD can be easily fixed with a chip and a pipe. DP claim about 124kw and 396 Nm ( a very big improvement)

I'd like to hear from others who have chipped their 2.5's

DJ

Thanks Guys, it is difficult to say which is between the two because the 3Lt has a 3" pipe fitted and the 2.5 is running standard. The 3Lt also has a canopy fitted so is carring more wait. The fuel economy has improved on the smaller engine after 20k, they are both very different to drive, the smaller seems to have more go in the lower RPM range but the 3Lt makes up for that on the higher side. i guess some homework is needed with regard to repair costs if required.

Thanks for you input. Nice pic Jason had a good laugh!

Latest posts

Back