Retreads

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay

Reaction score
hey guys. I'm looking at getting some all terrains for the new nav. I keep seeing retreads popping up all over the place. whats everyones opinions on them? do they just peel off after alittle while or are they ok? Finding it hard to justify sending a grand on tyres and then rims ontop of that

I would rather buy second hand or just a cheap new tyre than a recap.

Been there years ago. They were dangerous & shite. I doubt if anything has changed.

Id rather pay $350 a corner for decent tires than chance it on retreads. Tires only have to save you once and they have paid for themselves!

used to get retreads many years ago for the car but now new tires are just as cheap. also the compound they used was soft so chewed through tires really quick.

with 4x4 you also run into the problem of using tires with different sidewalls. not a big issue with cars but with big low pressure 4x4 tires that could be an issue.

just get cheap new tires, just stay away from the Chinese ones.

ok thanks guys. I think I'll steer clear of retreads. Looks like I'll have to just save for a little while longer

i bought a set of cheapies nexon rodens there called there an all terain pattern and have lasted longer and i get better wear than the bridgestones the car came with only $160 each

I have retread muddies on my suzuki vitara, gave them a thrashing in the bush and still going strong.

i bought a set of cheapies nexon rodens there called there an all terain pattern and have lasted longer and i get better wear than the bridgestones the car came with only $160 each

Had these on my Jeep before I traded it on the Navara, they worked quite well and the wear rate wasn't bad (Nexen Roadian ATII) got 5 for $550 on ebay.

Had these on my Jeep before I traded it on the Navara, they worked quite well and the wear rate wasn't bad (Nexen Roadian ATII) got 5 for $550 on ebay.

5 for $550 ill buy ten of the black fu#&@*s do you remember the seller name

5 for $550 ill buy ten of the black fu#&@*s do you remember the seller name

It was tyrekingonline from memory, they're at Ingleburn N.S.W. their stock changes all the time and probably due to what they can get for a good price.
Heed this though, the 5 tyres were $550 but they slugged me over $150 for fitting and ballancing, I should have just picked em up and had them fitted local to me for less, oh and it took a while, small shop/servo and busy.

It was tyrekingonline from memory, they're at Ingleburn N.S.W. their stock changes all the time and probably due to what they can get for a good price.
Heed this though, the 5 tyres were $550 but they slugged me over $150 for fitting and ballancing, I should have just picked em up and had them fitted local to me for less, oh and it took a while, small shop/servo and busy.

yeah great i would just get my brother to grab them and id put them on my self have a guy here near home will fit and ballence a full set for me for a carton

I run Insa Turbo Muddies. They are a re-mold which is from bead to bead all the way including side walls. They are a soft compound so do where a bit quicker than I would have liked but I find them quite good. I have given them a real flogging including Hwy speeds with only 18psi for over 100km and have no signs of delaminating or bulges. I got them off a guy on ebay, his ID is mrtreads, I paid about $700 for 4 32" Sahara muddies.

When I was looking at tyres in the last month or 2 for wifies car, I was quoted $210.00 each for Maxxis AT-771's in 265/70/16 from a couple of Bob Jane stores. That was fitted & balanced.

Some stores quoted dearer prices & I had read of people for getting them for just under $200 although I don't know how current the sub $200 price was.

Not too bad for a new tyre I reckon.

Trucking industry have used retreads for longer than many of us have been alive..
It always amazes me on this board that when some folks ask a question and they get 2 or 3 responses with no information they use this as gospel and make a decision...ah well

:sorry3:

playing devils advocate...I bought a set of Bridgestone tyres and they lasted 10,000kms...I would never buy anymore Bridgestones.:yeahright:

broadbrush statement

Back when I was younger and not earning a lot more than a person claiming just ONE unemployment benefit I didn't sneeze at retreads for my VW Kombi. It wasn't capable of much beyond 90km/h anyway but my recollection is that retreads are not only restrictive on speed but on load as well.

I wouldn't dream of putting them on my Navara. Apart from it nearing its GVM when we're touring, I'm hauling 1.8T behind me. I don't need to have the thing start to come apart because we've snagged the sharp edge of the road as we move to allow a truck to sail past. Losing control like that is not what I go on holidays for.

I know they've been used in the trucking industry for years but for years I've seen the shreds - and sometimes the complete tread layer - lying on the road. At a guess I'd say they probably wouldn't use them on the prime mover but I have seen them on trailers.

With the thousands of km they travel each year and the number of wheels involved it's not a surprise to see a large amount of rubber on the road, but it's not something that I want to contribute to.

My re molds are limited to 140Kmh, I have only once ever made it to this speed in my Nav and that was on a big down hill with a slight tail wind. LOL

Latest posts

Back