Upgrading suspension for the 'big lap'

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammy

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning to head off on the'big lap' around our big country next year. My 2010 Spanish build D40 dual cab auto has, at the moment, standard factory suspension and I would appreciate advice on suggested suspension etc. upgrade for such a trip. I plan to put on bash plates and already have a beefy bullbar. We will be towing a camper trailer with around 650kg ball weight and packed trailer weight of about 1700kg. The camper is built for off road and we hope to get to some of the more off the beaten track but do not intend to do really serious 4wd rough stuff. Many thanks.

Mate have a look a few threads down at the Monster Rides kit, as you add bits & bobs you can adjust the struts to get your height where it was

Thanks for that, still working my way around on this website. Will have a look at them as well.

+1 on the ball weight. For 1700kg behind, I'd expect it to be 170kg.

You should invest in some decent tyres and a good compressor. When you hit the rough stuff, drop your tyre pressure by about 10psi.

Quite right guys thanks for the inputs. The ball weight is 165kg - mind in neutral! Zordo has recommended EFS leaves, Lovells shocks and struts, Ironman shackles, bushes & u-bolts. Any thoughts on this setup, have heard Lovells shocks can give a really stiff ride.

You could also try Dobinson, I use Ultimate and there shocks are valved to suit each car and clients specs. You can also rebuild them.
Ultimate use Dobinson coils and i like the set up.

I was heading for TDS springs by Sax Suspension but I'm now going to let ARB put Emu Dakar springs and OME Nitrocharger Sports shocks all round. Quoted $2200 for it on Friday, Minister of Finance has approved the expenditure, now to book it in.

Back