D22 Speedo Inacuracy

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Krankin

Here's my info I've gathered on this topic.

My 08 ST-R is 10k out @100k speedo read actual is 90k.
Nissan is aware of this with their vehicles and will not alter the speedo's.
It falls just in line with ADR 18/03, but after contacting Comlaw whom then refered me to the,
Vehicle Safety Standards Branch Department of Infrastructure, Transport Regional Development and Local Government
who administer these rules and together with the ACCC then advised me of the facts amongst all the technical calculations.
The 3 points i list from their email to me concern us as consumers with our problem.

1/ As a consumer I CAN REQUEST that the speedometer in my/our vehicles indicate TRUE speed.

2/ . That my speedo reading is in the upper range of the tolerence as noted by the ADR and that the ADR does not mandate the upper range.
Why Nissan's Quality System has allowed this to come about as the ADR is a MINIMUM STANDARD and does not mandate manufacturers build vehicles that display speeds which are in the upper end of the tolerance range.

3/ Keep in mind the Fair Trading Act which has the "fit for purpose" provision .

LINKS...
ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation) 2006 (ADR 18/03)

If you require advice as to the implications, or how to interpret this document, you may wish to contact the administering Department

Australian Design Rules

Finally, i went directly to Nissan Aust with this info and they (pass the buck) said take the car to your dealer so they can test it and advise me.
I then sent all my mails to my dealer and after 5 months giving me the run around are still on the case.
The manager argued why should the dealer pay for this and he cant find anyone to recalibrate the speedo bla bla bla. Some say buy a GPS but why should I as I've just purchased a new car for fucks sake.

Now me thinks we would have to all get together in big numbers to push the issue, maybe get media involved...legal advice? as me being one person has'nt got much pull.
the facts of the ADR and our rights are stated, we just have to do something about it or we stop whining and bury the matter.

My 2 bobs worth.

From what i've seen with late ST-R 16inch wheel models anyway and the dealers tell me this also as they have had a shitload of complaints, is thats how they come from the factory.
Is yours all factory stock?

for example the base models have 15 inch wheels which alters the reading and so on, etc.

K76, i'm not sure but possibly ute's around your vintage are ok!
It seems with every new model they are made in diffrent countries, mine's made in Japan, i see the 09 models are made in Thailand and the D40's are made in Spain...Go figure

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

My ST-R is a 2004 and it under reads by 2kph at 100. Ie, when my speedo says 100, I'm actually doing 102kph. Checked by GPS.

My old patrol 1999 GU used to over read by 8kph at 100 so in essence, I was really traveling at 92.

It'll be interesting to see what my new one reads.

Cheers,

DJ

Hi Krankin,

My 08 is the same, its out by 10 k's at 100. (Road speed is 90).

It is common to the YD25 powered D22's.

Here's my info I've gathered on this topic.

My 08 ST-R is 10k out @100k speedo read actual is 90k.
Nissan is aware of this with their vehicles and will not alter the speedo's.
It falls just in line with ADR 18/03, but after contacting Comlaw whom then refered me to the,
Vehicle Safety Standards Branch Department of Infrastructure, Transport Regional Development and Local Government
who administer these rules and together with the ACCC then advised me of the facts amongst all the technical calculations.
The 3 points i list from their email to me concern us as consumers with our problem.

1/ As a consumer I CAN REQUEST that the speedometer in my/our vehicles indicate TRUE speed.

2/ . That my speedo reading is in the upper range of the tolerence as noted by the ADR and that the ADR does not mandate the upper range.
Why Nissan's Quality System has allowed this to come about as the ADR is a MINIMUM STANDARD and does not mandate manufacturers build vehicles that display speeds which are in the upper end of the tolerance range.

3/ Keep in mind the Fair Trading Act which has the "fit for purpose" provision .

LINKS...
ComLaw Legislative Instruments - Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/03 - Instrumentation) 2006 (ADR 18/03)

If you require advice as to the implications, or how to interpret this document, you may wish to contact the administering Department

Australian Design Rules

Finally, i went directly to Nissan Aust with this info and they (pass the buck) said take the car to your dealer so they can test it and advise me.
I then sent all my mails to my dealer and after 5 months giving me the run around are still on the case.
The manager argued why should the dealer pay for this and he cant find anyone to recalibrate the speedo bla bla bla. Some say buy a GPS but why should I as I've just purchased a new car for fucks sake.

Now me thinks we would have to all get together in big numbers to push the issue, maybe get media involved...legal advice? as me being one person has'nt got much pull.
the facts of the ADR and our rights are stated, we just have to do something about it or we stop whining and bury the matter.

My 2 bobs worth.

just think of it as nissan has set it up for when you put bigger tyres on :biggrin:

From what i've seen with late ST-R 16inch wheel models anyway and the dealers tell me this also as they have had a shitload of complaints, is thats how they come from the factory.
Is yours all factory stock?

for example the base models have 15 inch wheels which alters the reading and so on, etc.

K76, i'm not sure but possibly ute's around your vintage are ok!
It seems with every new model they are made in diffrent countries, mine's made in Japan, i see the 09 models are made in Thailand and the D40's are made in Spain...Go figure

rim size wont make a difference on speed reading. Only the overall tyre size.

rim size wont make a difference on speed reading. Only the overall tyre size.

True in some cases, but most guys get these utes to do some bush driving not all city driving, and I'm not aware that tyre profiles get smaller as you get bigger rim sizes and why would you put low profiles on a 4WD unless you have purely a "Dooff Dooff Torak Tractor".
For the most of everyday life when you buy normal 4WD tyres, OD of the tyre will be larger as rim size gets larger hence affecting speedo reading.

For the most of everyday life when you buy normal 4WD tyres, OD of the tyre will be larger as rim size gets larger hence affecting speedo reading.

nah

you can get different aspect ratios. not necessarily super low profile but there can be quite a bit of difference between 70,75,80 ratios and that all varies depending on rim size and width.

due to many vehicles coming out stock with 16" and 17" rims there is quite a few off road tires for the bigger rims even tho they are lower profile.

Yes Tweake,
as you,ll get a difference tween a new tyre and a near bald one,
but as my original topic is about a factory spec 08 D22 ST-R there's no need to bring to the table all the aftermarket variables and if one fitted some of these non factory items, one could not argue that your speedo is reading inacuratly to Nissan and expect action from them.

edit correction from "the" to "that" in this post

Last edited by a moderator:
most manufactures only guarantee the speedo to be within 10% accuracy. i would no be surprised to hear nissan say its fine. its fairly common across all makes.
one of the consumer progs over here did a program on it some years back.

don't forget its only guaranteed when using stock tires. soon as you fit after market it goes all out the window.
the curse of course is how many vehicles have adjustment for the speedo. however there are after market kits available.

don't forget, not everyones reads correct. that slow car may actually be "going fast" but has incorrect speedo. leave some allowances for other peoples driving.

I am writing about a "stock" vehicle and all the "facts" are in my original post at the start of this thread, with reference to Consumer rights and Aust design rules anyway..

Aftermarket kits are available but my ute came new with this problem and is under warranty.

Yes, you could say well it allows you to fit bigger tyres later but not everyone has that in mind and in Aust we have a "Fit for Purpose" law.

If one fitted these kits and lets say you blew out your ecm who would pay to repair it...not Nissan.

True in some cases, but most guys get these utes to do some bush driving not all city driving, and I'm not aware that tyre profiles get smaller as you get bigger rim sizes and why would you put low profiles on a 4WD unless you have purely a "Dooff Dooff Torak Tractor".

you can get tyres in all different rim sizes. you can get 33" in 15, 16, 17, 18" rims. Outside size of the tyre stays the same...

I am writing about a "stock" vehicle and all the "facts" are in my original post at the start of this thread, with reference to Consumer rights and Aust design rules anyway..

Aftermarket kits are available but my ute came new with this problem and is under warranty.

Yes, you could say well it allows you to fit bigger tyres later but not everyone has that in mind and in Aust we have a "Fit for Purpose" law.

If one fitted these kits and lets say you blew out your ecm who would pay to repair it...not Nissan.

its 10% whats the big deal? my speedo was out with factory tyres, when i put 31's on it read accurate and with 35s on its 10% under. As the tyres wear the speedo will change aswell, you cant expect to keep taking it back to nissan every month. Plus i gaurentee that tyres arent exactly the same size even though the sidewall says the same thing.

it will be interesting to see if you can get nissan to do something.
i would not be suprised if your told where to go like most manafactures do.
but then again if there an unlisted adjustment in them it may be an easy thing to fix.

keep us posted :)

Joshy, 10% may mean shit to you, but for me who drives for work on the HWY 10 k/PHR means alot when driving 1400 k a week for work purpose diregarding bush driving which doesnt matter either way.
Don't forget this car is'nt soley marketed for bush driving.
It doesnt bother you but then it seems it does to a lot of other folk to whom I'm trying to enlighten or help afterall thats what this forum is for.

yes i have said already Nissan give the run around as some have mentioned but we have laws contrary to this as i have put forward already.
:banghead:

it will be interesting to see if you can get nissan to do something.

keep us posted :)

Tweake, the laws are with us as consumers, but as you would know one customer standing up as opposed to many wont get results.
Cheers

my point here is its a known problem across the industry thats been raised before with no success.
you would probably have more luck with a single case trying it as a fault rather than everyone together to get a bad design fixed.

Trouble is its not a bad design but Nissan Programming their clusters that way.

is it a programming thing or a sender cog thing ?
if its programming then it should be easy enough to change.

Back