4x4 Issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbzerk

Reaction score
Hi all,
Hoping the answer to this is straight forward. I'm a newbie to 4x4 and D40s and tomorrow i'm about to go to my first 4x4 track, so i decided to quickly test the functionality of the 4x4 mode switch..
Driving in a carpark, I flicked it over to 4x4hi and everything seems fine and the dashed showed all 4 wheels locked. I went to park into a car spot (right angle park) and noticed when i almost had full lock there was alot of resistance accelerating forward into the spot in 4x4 mode.. it felt like the wheel was 'skipping'
Is this normal? Did this happen because i was driving in dry conditions?
Any suggestions plz?

I've got a D22 & don't have any specific knowledge of these push button 4x4 other than a strong suspicion that I don't like 'em.

However, and I may be wrong, but from what you say it sounds like a fairly normal "I'm in 4x4 & no longer have the same turning circle, power, or combination of the both" type of scenario.

Somebody with a D40 might like to correct me!

i wouldn't recommend trying that again on a sealed surface. it's not as bad on dirt, but on hard dirt it can still cause damage unless you are driving in a straight line. what you have described is normal when in 4x4 mode. doing this a lot will end up breaking something, as well as stretching the transfer case chain.

suggest reading the owners manual...... 4wd should not be selected on hard surfaces it will do lots of damage... and make sure you are stoped and in neutral to engage low range.... maybe get a experienced freind to show you the ropes... enjoy learning...

what 4 naving said sounds like expensive learning dont try anything to serious at first and make sure you have some people with you that have some 4x4 ing experiance if ya have some good guids you will be suprised where you can put your car

It creates an incredible load on the drive line, tries to turn axles and shafts into a corkscrew. If you do this the best way to relieve the tension is to roll back some and de-select 4x4

cya later transfer case, never use 4wd on tar, or concrete, or really hard surfaces.

if its brand new dont rev the shit out of it in 4L let your lsd do all the work. these things crawl nicely.

Latest posts

Back