turbo help.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparks

Reaction score
been searching for the answers but haven't found it so thought i would ask.
Just found a cheap turbo set up off a 94' terrano,
Manifold, oil lines, turbo ect. just wondering if i am walking into a world of trouble bolting this onto my td27.
the main issues are that i have questions about are reliability, my trucks got about 240,000 k on it, is bolting a turbo on now going to hurt it, i was only thinking of 5-7pounds boost.
I asked my mechanic and he said not to do it, just to wait till i can afford a whole engine transplant but i think i would want to upgrade to a new truck before i start dropping that sort of money into it.
Also how hard is it to install?
does the non turbo engine sump have the oil line holes there or do they need to be tapped?
i get that you bolt on the manifold and turbo, run the oil lines to and from it, turn up the fuel and connect the exhaust off the dump pipe, can the existing exhaust be used or do you need one off the terrano, i know wider is better but i am thinking more in the short term untill i can make my own up.

any other advice on the install would be awesome, or if its not worth it please let me know. at the end of the day faster would be awesome but not at the expense of my motor blowing up in 20ks time, what is the difference between the factory turbo td27's and the NA ones?

oh and its a 1987 4x4 double cab

240,000 is fine to bolt the turbo onto, providing the engine hasn't had an unusually hard life like skipped oil changes, overheated etc. If you want to be sure, take the oil cap off, rev it, see how much blowby you're getting. The only difference between the turbo and NA motors is the aneroid on the pump to add more fuel with more boost. You can get away with not having it, you'll just be a bit overfuelled at idle. Install an EGT probe in the hole in the exhaust manifold where the EGR once was and monitor your temps while driving. You shouldn't notice any difference in longevity with only 7psi, but it will be faster to drive. Terrano turbos are sometimes water cooled, you might have to run coolant lines too, not a hard job at all.

Oil ports are present in the block, just plugged, so you just take the plugs out and go for it. You can reuse the exhaust but you'll have to weld on a flange in a different position to meet the dump pipe. Apparently the D22 ZD30 exhaust fits the dump pipe in the right spot so that can be a very cheap permanent solution.

Good luck mate.

Latest posts

Back