who has their rear bar in black?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dezzdash

Reaction score
hi all, looking to get my rear done black (currently that chrome d40).
i have seen a few d40's with this done. my current car is a 2007 navara d40 st-x dual cab in black. I'm halfway to getting everything in black.

i have been told that the paint won't stick to the chrome and will chip and flake on dirt roads. powder coating won't work either, just wondering how people have done this so that its a proper job and will last the life of my ute. i was told to dip in acid to remove chrome and then sync plate so paint/powdercoat will stick.

has anyone done this?
i don't want to end up spending $1000 just to get a rear bar to black haha!

I was thinking the same thing as you. But after going out on the weekand and grinding the rear bar down a rock, im thinking against it. I might end up getting the rollpan welded like the blokes in the minitrucks do, and get a custom rear bar made in black. I suppose that depends on how high i end up lifting it, whether i need one or not.

Haha hang on, are you talking about the roll bars or the rear step? Cause i had my bars painted and i reckon they look awesome. I got them sandblasted to get all the chrome off then another mate painted them in a satin black. They dont show up any marks but i dont use them to tie anything to either, so that might have to be taken into account. Once you blast the chrome off, the paint will stick to the metal underneath fine. I would have got them powdercoated but the paint was free...

photo2.jpg

Just gotta get the wheels done now...

Yeah mate got my rear bar and roll bars done!! Sanded them back then powdercoated

Yeah I would have though sand blasting then powder coating would be the go. Most powdercoaters offer sandblasting, call them and have a chat.

Hey mate, I'm after getting some alloys blasted & powder coated in a semi-gloss black, maybe we can get it all done together & get them to do a deal with more stuff getting done.
As for rear bar, I saw one recently on a black STX, looked bloody good. I'm not going that route though as i'm finding departure angle a pain in the arse off road, building my own bar instead

departure angle isnt that good with the rear step. Is it much better if just taken off completely? I think it would have saved me the trouble i had last week. A cleen rollpan that followed the same height as the bottom of the tub would look sweet.

The tow bar gets me on everything, i'd sooner have the stock bar than nothing, at least it gives a bit of protection for the quarters.

Drawing one up at the moment, plate steel incorporating tow bar, recovery points and possibly spare wheel carriers, a few funny angles to take into consideration though.

Hey mate, I'm after getting some alloys blasted & powder coated in a semi-gloss black, maybe we can get it all done together & get them to do a deal with more stuff getting done.
As for rear bar, I saw one recently on a black STX, looked bloody good. I'm not going that route though as i'm finding departure angle a pain in the arse off road, building my own bar instead

sure mate I'm keen to get my alloys in black as well! i need my rear bar, front grill, side mirrors and door handles all done in black so whats your number? i often go to kograh for the dragons.

Haha hang on, are you talking about the roll bars or the rear step? Cause i had my bars painted and i reckon they look awesome. I got them sandblasted to get all the chrome off then another mate painted them in a satin black. They dont show up any marks but i dont use them to tie anything to either, so that might have to be taken into account. Once you blast the chrome off, the paint will stick to the metal underneath fine. I would have got them powdercoated but the paint was free...

i got my rear sports bars powder coated for 50 bucks, came up a treat.
i need the rear bar done. how would i sand it down? by hand? i don't have any machines.

dezzdash said:
sure mate I'm keen to get my alloys in black as well! i need my rear bar, front grill, side mirrors and door handles all done in black so whats your number? i often go to kograh for the dragons.

I live on English st right next to jubilee oval, next time come park out the back of my place. Think the rest of this years home games are at Wollongong though.

The alloys I want done area ready to go, give me a shout whenever you want to do it

I got my mirrors & grille done black, looks awesome. Got em sprayed, I think $300, they had to sand off the chrome.
I can show you how to get the mirror covers off without taking the glass out too

Hey I have mine in black, I painted it myself about 5 months ago.

103fst3.jpg

I sanded it back with 60 grit then 300 then 600. Coated it with etching primer twice then hit it with 800.
Two coats of black then 1000 grit before 3 coats of clear.
Cost me about $80 in products and a couple of days to do.

It's looking perfect with no issues still.
Though I don't hit dirts roads or go bush.

I got my mirrors & grille done black, looks awesome. Got em sprayed, I think $300, they had to sand off the chrome.
I can show you how to get the mirror covers off without taking the glass out too

how about you msg me your number

then we can organise from there. i have a heap of stuff to get painted so i can bring it all down and we can get a quote. ill get some stockies to put on my ute until then. thats a bit hefty for painting some mirrors and a grille lol!

any way sms me man

Hey I have mine in black, I painted it myself about 5 months ago.

103fst3.jpg

I sanded it back with 60 grit then 300 then 600. Coated it with etching primer twice then hit it with 800.
Two coats of black then 1000 grit before 3 coats of clear.
Cost me about $80 in products and a couple of days to do.

It's looking perfect with no issues still.
Though I don't hit dirts roads or go bush.

Would you fancy doing mine?

Yeah mate got my rear bar and roll bars done!! Sanded them back then powdercoated

any chips on the powder coating? how long since you've done it ? w=do you 4x4?

how much did it cost you to powedercoat?

i went to a powdercoater and they said it would need to be zinc plated for the coat to stick?

sorry for all the questions

dezz

any chips on the powder coating? how long since you've done it ? w=do you 4x4?

how much did it cost you to powedercoat?

i went to a powdercoater and they said it would need to be zinc plated for the coat to stick?

sorry for all the questions

dezz

Well put is this way......
I've smashed my bar onto rocks, trees, cars and all it's done is scratched it abit. Has not chipped.
I'm out bush most weekends and it's been fine.
The mrs old man has his own business so it was for free!!

Back