Gas leaks at the servo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodgyPuzzles

Reaction score
So I was on my way home from work and dropped into the servo to fill up the Nav. Started filling up and just as its about to reach the top all the pumps suddenly lose power. A guy was filling up with gas and noticed a leak in his tank... Everyone had to evacuate the premises until the fireys cleared the area and said it was safe.

About an hour later we get told its all clear and we can leave, slight problem, they can't turn the pumps back on and I can't pay (the pump still thought the nozzle was off the hook) They took my details and the manager is going to call me tomorrow and I will have to go back and pay tomorrow.

What do you think, if anything, is adequate compensation for the inconvenience ?

I'd imagine that you'd have to claim from the idiot with the piss-poor gas tank for causing the scenario, then the service station liable for not being able to manage things afterwards.

As for the amount of compensation, they'll probably ask how much income you lost while you were there.

Personally, it didn't bother me that much. For me I was on my way home from work so I was late for dinner and today I have an rdo so its only going to be 15 minutes to drop down and pay for it. While I'd love a free tank of diesel, it wasn't the servos fault for the delay they were only following procedure. I do find it interesting everyones views on what's fair though.

If I hadve spent that time working (which for me is always a possibility, the boss wants me doing overtime 24/7), that hour would've been worth just over half a tank.

I reckon that it's basically stiff shit - personally I wouldn't be looking for anything from it. Pretty easy to waste an hour and the poor bugger with the leaking tank will be up for a few bucks to fix it anyway.

Exactly the same thing happened to a servo next to my old job about 3 years ago. Talk about overkill - cops and fireys everywhere.

Depends if i had the time to waste meh who cares. if i was working on the other hand id be losing $55 an hour and id be pissed cause that $55 has to cover shed rent insurance all those out going bills so that would see me having to go to work and make up the time lost. when you allready do 65+ hr weeks id be pissed.

I'd hate it to happen if I was filling up and had a wedding to shoot but as BW has said I believe it's a case of "stiff shit, safety first."

If you want a bush lawyers opinion, you would need to prove that the guy with the faulty tank and/or the person who last inspected it(how often are they inspected?) was negligent/unregistered/something and lodge a claim against them. In NSW, cost you $120(?) and goes through the Small Claims court. However, that only covers REAL loss like actual lost income and/or damaged shit.

Personally, I'm in the "shrug, shit happens, deal with it and move on camp".
Basically, it is fornicatingly impossible for everything to go right all the time and stressing over it is just going to ruin your health.

Lol, working in IT, I always said that there was no need to employed of stuff didn't go wrong and all I was doing was putting myself out of work.

Exactly the same thing happened to a servo next to my old job about 3 years ago. Talk about overkill - cops and fireys everywhere.

I used to be a firey, if you've seen a servo or a tank go up i doubt you'd say it was overkill!

I forgot to reply to this the other day, the end result was I had to go back and pay if full.

Wasn't a problem and was expected but I was less than impressed when the manager rang me, he didn't appologise for the situation or even acknowledge it was an inconvenience.

I forgot to reply to this the other day, the end result was I had to go back and pay if full.

Wasn't a problem and was expected but I was less than impressed when the manager rang me, he didn't appologise for the situation or even acknowledge it was an inconvenience.

Technically it's not his fault.
:deadhorse2:

justAL said:
Technically it's not his fault.
:deadhorse2:

I know, but its much the same as an appology at a funeral, sympathetic more so than admitting fault.

The operators I dealt with on the night and the one I dealt with when I came back the next day were quite nice, but the manager just irked me. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just having a shit day.

I know, but its much the same as an appology at a funeral, sympathetic more so than admitting fault.

The operators I dealt with on the night and the one I dealt with when I came back the next day were quite nice, but the manager just irked me. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he was just having a shit day.

Possibly and the other three people who came back to pay were a bunch of pricks.

;)

Back