Auxillary fuel Tank

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJMOS

Reaction score
Hi guys, have any of you fitted auxilary or long range tank to your d40, looking for some pointers here, we're off to nowhere in paticular towing a 21 ft van for the next few years, i figure i'll need extra fuel fairly often, not too keen on the idea of 5 x 20 litre jerry cans in the tray though

john m, stock d 40

I've fitted a 160 ltr Opposite Lock tank to my 08 auto D40 dual cab. Just traversed a great part of Aus (almost 19000 km in total and much off the beaten track). This tank doesn't hang any lower than the original and is the biggest on the market that I know of.

Long range tank

Hello,

You could also have a look at ARB. I am pretty sure they use the long ranger. What they do is leave the original 80l tank and fit a 70l steel tank behind and slightly above the main tank. Both tanks are then plumbed together giving you 150 litres. The main filler is redirected to the rear tank which gravity feeds into the main tank .I have had one fitted now for about 12 months with no leaks or dramas. The only issue is the fuel gauge shows full for the first 600 k's until the rear tank is empty and then works as normal as the main tank falls and retains the original accuracy for the main tank. Once you suss this out is is quite easy to live with. I liked this system as it didn't require repositioning the spare or moving anything around. At the time I think pricing was in line with the other majors.

You could also try 4wd systems in Holden Hill, SA. I used one of their tanks in a GU patrol and it was pretty good. They will freight interstate and are generally a few hundred cheaper than the big 2. At the time I had my D40 done 4wd systems hadn't developed theirs but they do one now.

Norry

norry,
how much did they hit ya for that. i got a set of bash plates through arb and am happy with them so keen to give them my bussiness. it'll just another thing to add to the to do list.:big_smile:

Blue boy,

Sorry for late reply. Just found the receipt it was $1350 fitted but that was in June 08 so probably more now.

Norry

Having fitted a couple of the aux. tanks I can say they have there pro's and cons.

The Aux ones that longranger do are not bad in theory but the connection between the aux and main is shithouse in my oppinion. Very prone to leaks especially if a lot of care is not taken to install correctly. Could be prone to getting damaged too if ya do a bit of offroad stuff. And when one tank drains into the main it defeats the main purpose of having two tanks anyway.

We will probably not be installing another one if we can help it as I just don't think it is the best way to do things.

jmo but I would go the larger main tank over anything else.

I have the 160ltr main tank replacement from opposite lock no problems been in since I bought it brand new 2 years ago excellent way to go looks and fits apart of the vehicle. Paid $ 1060 fitted and included QLD Modification plate and cerfified by QLD department of Transport.

I put my reserve tank in the tray, with the filler through the canopy, I then pump out of this tank through a filter into the original main tank. I went this way because I didn't want to modify the original tank for warranty issues, it was a quater of the price of longranger, 2 tanks are safer than one, and all my fuel is double filtered. My extra tank was 220l, a bit overkill, but I managed to do the entire Canning stock route with out the need to refill!, Better than paying $3.20 a litre in the middle of no where.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back