Help Needed - Welding Temperature

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
not sore if this is where i should post this but fill free to move it. i was just wondering if anyone could tell me at what temperature you would weld 25x25x1.6mm thick tube?:confused2:

About 1500 degrees. dont know how that will help you but. i assume your asking for welder settings each welder will be difderent but aim about 150-180 amps probly for a start. depends how you weld aswell i like to weld superhot

Welding 1.6 tube super hot will just blow holes in it. I hope your not building sliders with it, they won't last long. Do some test welds first, if you blow holes in it turn the welder down a bit

im no expert but i would have said maybe 80 amps. as scotty said do some test welds first.

i welded up a little bracket for my intercooler today. 3mm thick steel on 120amps with good penetration.

Welding 1.6 tube super hot will just blow holes in it. I hope your not building sliders with it, they won't last long. Do some test welds first, if you blow holes in it turn the welder down a bit

no scotty im doing to make a slide on/off canopy to sute a d22 tub. any suggestions?

Why are you using such big shs. 25mm would be heaps. Just get a few bits to test weld. When welding it should sound like bacon and eggs on a fry pan. Are you welding with gas or gasless mig

Better off using 35x35 box imo that way if you want to put a rack on top of it you can. we make all our canopys out of 40x40 that way you can put pretty much whateva you want on top of them. usually have a sheet ally roof on them also so you can work on top of them that way you can run ladders off the roof etc. when wohs isnt around of course i dont think they would like an extension ladder fully extended from the top of a 2mtr high roof with some one hanging off the top of it :)
Test weld is the only way your gonna find out cause every welder is different and different people have different welding style. ie. i weld super hot with wire speed up quiet high wam bam thank you mam. that style doesnt really work on heavy plate etc. but does on rhs. most will as scotty said weld slower with a lower temp.

im only using 25x25x1.6mm thick for the frame and then i will use something smaller. im going to use an arc

Better off using 35x35 box imo that way if you want to put a rack on top of it you can. we make all our canopys out of 40x40 that way you can put pretty much whateva you want on top of them. usually have a sheet ally roof on them also so you can work on top of them that way you can run ladders off the roof etc. when wohs isnt around of course i dont think they would like an extension ladder fully extended from the top of a 2mtr high roof with some one hanging off the top of it :)
Test weld is the only way your gonna find out cause every welder is different and different people have different welding style. ie. i weld super hot with wire speed up quiet high wam bam thank you mam. that style doesnt really work on heavy plate etc. but does on rhs. most will as scotty said weld slower with a lower temp.

Its a shame you are in qld!! Want it be heavy out of 35x35 or 40x40? How thick are you talking about?

1.6mm wall might be a bit tricky to weld with an arc without blowing holes, but it can be done. Just use thin electrodes and practice on some scrap first. Might be an idea to use slightly thicker wall material.

Its a shame you are in qld!! Want it be heavy out of 35x35 or 40x40? How thick are you talking about?

Usually 1.6mm if someone is going to carry a lot of weight we use 2mm but thats rare.
My old canopy was 1800x2500x probly 950. Had 4 40mm upright the top had 40mm allround the outside with a 40mm centre support running the length of it and four 20mm supports running from centre rail to outside edge. roof had one oversize sheet of 1.6mm ally 2500x 1460 tthen folded 30mm lip for sailtrack to slide under. with the cover on it two people could lift it off my ute with a bit of effort would have been easy to take on and off if it had an angle runner on the bottom to slide it on instead of 4 legs.

The frame itself is not that heavy i can stand in the middle of one without the ally on top and pick them up myself and walk it around the shed with little effort. i weight 58kgs so im not some muscle freak lol.

its really uo to you i would atleast use 35x35 if it was me and 40x40 if your ever going to carry substancial weight on top of it.

Ps good luck with that arc welder i hate those things you need skillz (i dont have them :) ) to do good stick welds any numptie can go allright with a mig

I built a baby gate from the same stuff, used an arc welder, it worked ok but the welds were hideously ugly, took ages with the grinder to get it nice.
Do yourself a favour and get a Mig, or tack it together & get someone in to finish it

There's a thread in the general section about a sale at Total Tools, might be worth checking it out.
Let us know how you get on, I'm a mad tool nerd and might pick one up too!

qqc d22 im going to HOPEFULY make it to sute the tub with three lift up doors but im not shore how to conect it to the tub yet? i may put to A frame ladders on top. just a question do you have any photos of the canopys you make that sute a tub?

Latest posts

Back