d40 front diff removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big zetor

Reaction score
Hi all just wondering if anyone among us has pulled there fornt diff out and if so was it a very hard job are the cv just sitting in the diff and slide out or are they circliped. thanks

Hi all just wondering if anyone among us has pulled there fornt diff out and if so was it a very hard job are the cv just sitting in the diff and slide out or are they circliped. thanks

hey mate cvs will just pop out they just ,the silver clips on them u may not get back on u might have to replace them with hose clamps,havent pulled the diff assembly out though sorry mate

Don't the drive shafts unbolt off the flange on the diff. Unbolt your tail shaft and the bolts holding the front diff in. It isn't that big a job. Just have a really good look at it and you will see how it comes out

front diff removel

*undo drive shaft bolts
*take wheels off
*undo cv shaft nut (32mm) allmost all the way
*unplug the abs lines
*undo steering arms
*undo front strut
*undo top uca
*lower spindal take cv out of the hub first as you lower it, then slide it out of the diff
*undo the 3 bolts that hold the diff inplace and lift it out wieghs about 25-30 kilos
*done

when putting back in
*put diff in and do up 3 bolts
*put cv in the diff, first line up with the spline and give it a tap with a big hammer and piece of wood
*guide the cv back into the hub as you raise the spindal back up with jack
*do up drive shaft
*do up main cv nut and cotter pin
*bolt everything back together and its done
all this took 2 hours and i'm no mechanic i make chocolate for a living'
hope this helps others on a budget like me cheers

Last edited:
Nice wright up mate... thanks... might be a little off track but if i were to bust a cv out on the track is it possible to remove it or cut the shaft out and still drive (limp) it out or back home?? may be remove front tail shaft first??

yep all you need to carry is a socket for the big nut and probelly some grey tape to cover both cv shaft inlets (diff and hub) more so if the diff is stuffed.

thanks guys. sounds like a plan if i play to hard...

i had my front diff out the cvs have internal clip they do not bolt on u need two short pry bars and give them a little pry and they come out easy and u can leave them on the car u will need to drop the top ball joint on the upper arm to let u pull them out the diff its a easy job if u remove the cvs i think its a 32mm deep socket

front diff removel

*undo drive shaft bolts
*take wheels off
*undo cv shaft nut (32mm) allmost all the way
*unplug the abs lines
*undo steering arms
*undo front strut
*undo top uca
*lower spindal take cv out of the hub first as you lower it, then slide it out of the diff
*undo the 3 bolts that hold the diff inplace and lift it out wieghs about 25-30 kilos
*done

when putting back in
*put diff in and do up 3 bolts
*put cv in the diff, first line up with the spline and give it a tap with a big hammer and piece of wood
*guide the cv back into the hub as you raise the spindal back up with jack
*do up drive shaft
*do up main cv nut and cotter pin
*bolt everything back together and its done
all this took 2 hours and i'm no mechanic i make chocolate for a living'
hope this helps others on a budget like me cheers

Thanks for the guide, thought I would add to it for people wanting to remove less.

I didn't need to remove strut or steering arm. Didn't need to unplug abs just remove them from the clips that hold the cable in place.

Latest posts

Back