stretched transfer chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
As the title says. I think i have a stretched tranfer chain. My ute makes a horrible sound when its in 4wd but only when you make it work like if its bogged or going up a slippery hill or if i let it idle along and hold the brake on it does it. What can any of you tell me about it as i dont no a lot. I read on here about putting a d21 tranfer case in as they have stronger chains or somthing. Is a straight bolt in job. I have a 05 d22. Or will it need other things modified to fit a different transfer case Just trying to find out as much info as i can before i take it back to the mechanics. Ill try and upload a short video where you can hear the noise.

Ok sorry not sure how to upload video. How do you upload videos? Its a video off my phone. Think its a mpeg-4 file.

you can hear the noise and i cant but any chance it,s not your hubs, someone on here had a hub bugger up and it was said it was making a noise under a lot of load, worth checking easier to get to and cheaper

Yeah i tried getting a video up but couldnt work out how. My mechanic had my hub off and said its fine. Changed my cv, and i think my uni shaft still has the noise. They also looked in my diff and said it looks fine. So looks like its leading towards the transfer chain

you can hear the noise and i cant but any chance it,s not your hubs, someone on here had a hub bugger up and it was said it was making a noise under a lot of load, worth checking easier to get to and cheaper

Yeah that was me.

Yeah i tried getting a video up but couldnt work out how. My mechanic had my hub off and said its fine. Changed my cv, and i think my uni shaft still has the noise. They also looked in my diff and said it looks fine. So looks like its leading towards the transfer chain

Locking hub, it can be hard to tell if they're broken and the symptoms are almost identical to chain. You would want to be entirely convinced that it's not the locking hubs before changing the chain. At last check a new chain from Nissan was around $800, without replacing the gears as well. Plus heaps of labour. It's pretty cheap to replace the hubs (the non-genuine product is of very similar quality to OEM) so might be worth a try.

We've now figured out that stuff about the D21 chain being wider is USA-specific. In Australia they're all the same width. If it IS the chain the cheapest route is usually to replace the transfer with a S/H one. Are you the first owner of the car? Did you or the previous owner/s ever drive it in 4x4 on tarmac (wet or otherwise) or decent gravel roads?

Yeah that was me.

?

Thought so, How good is this, Went to a farm the other day the farmer has a matching pair of single cab tritons, both running 205 80 16 from memory on the front and 31x 10.5 x15 on the back, fronts are around 29 inch versus 31 on back. hello transfer issues. Asked him about it and answer was i only use 4x4 if i have to:yeahright:

Be interesting to see what the Yanks are charging for the chain.

It'd have to be the whole transfer as the sprockets and housing would have to be bigger too. And then the spline count on the shaft varies as they got a v6 4x4.

Thought so, How good is this, Went to a farm the other day the farmer has a matching pair of single cab tritons, both running 205 80 16 from memory on the front and 31x 10.5 x15 on the back, fronts are around 29 inch versus 31 on back. hello transfer issues. Asked him about it and answer was i only use 4x4 if i have to:yeahright:

I don't even really see the point of the odd tyres. They'd have to be serious paddle tyres to get the effect I think old mate is looking for.

Yeah that was me.

Locking hub, it can be hard to tell if they're broken and the symptoms are almost identical to chain. You would want to be entirely convinced that it's not the locking hubs before changing the chain. At last check a new chain from Nissan was around $800, without replacing the gears as well. Plus heaps of labour. It's pretty cheap to replace the hubs (the non-genuine product is of very similar quality to OEM) so might be worth a try.

We've now figured out that stuff about the D21 chain being wider is USA-specific. In Australia they're all the same width. If it IS the chain the cheapest route is usually to replace the transfer with a S/H one. Are you the first owner of the car? Did you or the previous owner/s ever drive it in 4x4 on tarmac (wet or otherwise) or decent gravel roads?

The mechanics told me they swapped the hubs round left to right and still made the noise from the same spot. Oh righto. Well I have found a second hand transfer case for $300. I have no idea i brought the ute second hand but my guess now is that it had been driven in 4wd on the black top for the chain to be stretched. I didnt think anyone was stupid enough to do that

You can stretch your chain out 4wding mate. Driving on black top is just another way that it happens a lot quicker.

Oh righto. Well i have only had the ute for bout 9 months or so and only done a handfull of 4wd trips in it so im guessing it was from the previous owner

I had the same issue in mine nearly 1 year ago. I sourced a transfer case and threw out the old. For the price of the parts it was not worth saving the old. So far so good. I think i paid around $550 for mine with a six month warranty. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back