What broke on your Cape Trip?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dungee

Reaction score
After reading a few threads and doing some searching I thought it would make a good thread topic and try to get a list of what you broke, what trouble you had and how many of the spares that you packed got used.

Been up there 3 times so far.
First time was in a troopy. Busted the radiator, miles from nowhere.
Second and third times were in Patrols. A GQ and then a GU. Both performed without a hitch. If my Nav does it as well this tme around, Im a happy camper!.
Cheers.

Broke the chassis where it connects via captive nut to the bullbar, pulling others out from mistake creek on the way up. Welded it up at caravan park near the top. Stripped the same nut coming back down the pdr. Fixed with new bolts right through the other side of the chassis in cooktown.

IMG_9853.jpg

My trip to the Cape. As l was driving my D22 06, about 60 K's befor Townsville BANG!! my 5th gear went on me so I limp into tsv nissan only to be told it will be 3 weeks befor they can look at it. I went to Jason & Simon at TSV Gearbox Reconditioning They said they are flat out & it will be a week befor they can look at it. I told them that I was meeting up with 3 of my mates in Cairns on monday to head to the tip (atrip we had been planing for 2years) The next day (Friday) the gearbox was out & parts was ordered 11am Monday all parts arrived 4pm l was back on the road. How good is that? BIG THANKS TO JASON & SIMON

Regardless of the damages we still thoroughly enjoyed our Cape York venture and can hardly wait to go back next year.
On the way up the spring hangers on the RHS of the trailer ripped out from the chasis. Chains, fencing wire, rachet straps held this in place to limp up to Bamaga for repairs. $$$$$$$ ouch.
Got back over the Jardine heading to Vrylia point and the brand new shocks(installed for the trip) on the rear of the car exploded. We limped back to Weipa to await replacements that the company who recommended and installed them sent up free of charge. Overall we lost 10 days out of our trip and we still had a great time. Footnote- when we got back to Bris took the car back to the company to show them the shocks and they checked all 4 this time and the front ones where buggered as well.
Shocks and bushes work hard and I would suggest carry spares.

WayneD4T

Regardless of the damages we still thoroughly enjoyed our Cape York venture and can hardly wait to go back next year.
On the way up the spring hangers on the RHS of the trailer ripped out from the chasis. Chains, fencing wire, rachet straps held this in place to limp up to Bamaga for repairs. $$$$$$$ ouch.
Got back over the Jardine heading to Vrylia point and the brand new shocks(installed for the trip) on the rear of the car exploded. We limped back to Weipa to await replacements that the company who recommended and installed them sent up free of charge. Overall we lost 10 days out of our trip and we still had a great time. Footnote- when we got back to Bris took the car back to the company to show them the shocks and they checked all 4 this time and the front ones where buggered as well.
Shocks and bushes work hard and I would suggest carry spares.

WayneD4T

May I ask what type of shocks were they?

SHIYT! howd ya manage that one

pulled into a farm, beat the hell out of it and then used their MIG to weld in some gussets.

all the result of a large bull dust hole and doing 100k's

3 days later I came off my bike and broke more bones than I care to mentioned..had to wait for a RFD plane to come out of PNG and take me down to Cairns base hospital.

Ouch, when posting this I was hoping to find out what car and trailer bits broke, not human bits.... Hope you heal quick.

May I ask what type of shocks were they?

They were Procomp. Personally for obvious reasons I will never use them again however the speedy responce and assistance from the supplier once we made contact with them from Weipa was outstanding.

WayneD4T

pulled into a farm, beat the hell out of it and then used their MIG to weld in some gussets.

all the result of a large bull dust hole and doing 100k's

3 days later I came off my bike and broke more bones than I care to mentioned..had to wait for a RFD plane to come out of PNG and take me down to Cairns base hospital.

Unlucky mate, surely you learnt your lesson and didnt stack ya bike hitting a dust bowl at 100k also ha? all the best with your recovery dude

i just got back from a 3 week trip yesterday. I was in a mates ford ranger and had no dramas at all there were 5 other trucks with us 2 patrols 2 hilux's and one other ranger and no one had a problem......... take lots of money for fuel. we were getting about 400kms a tank once we hit the dirt and about 550 on the way up and back so pack light. price of fuel up there is quite expensive as you would probably know....... 170 at musgrave 199 at archer river 210 at the jardine and 215 in bamarga. the cheapest place saw diesel was in gympie 136.....

G, day folks,

I have been to the Cape 3 times, only damage was a lost steering idle arm nut lost on the D40 last year due to the farking excessive vibrations caused by the farking correguations.

I damaged the farking spare wheel on the Jayco off-road camper and broke off the farking jockey wheel handle on the Old Telegraph track last year. (see photos attached)

Regards,

RLI
:sniper:

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 146
The vibrations..sorry corrugations are just unrelenting....it would be good to go earlier in the seasion when the roads have just been graded rather than towards the end...ah well
try it on a bike :yeahright:

Still on my cape trip and have currently got a busted radiator. Bushman repairs with solder and it got me to bamaga from Elliot falls. Will be fixed on Friday hopefully under insurance

RustyNav09 said:
Still on my cape trip and have currently got a busted radiator. Bushman repairs with solder and it got me to bamaga from Elliot falls. Will be fixed on Friday hopefully under insurance

How bad is the radiator Rus. If it is just a leak poor some pepper into it as it works the same as radiator stop leak

Its pretty bad its actually torn 5 of the cooling fins apart. I'm gonna keep the radiator and bring it back to Brisbane so I can get the pictures up etc. We welded it up with solder then topped it with water. It working perfectly but don't wanna risk it for the drive home

Latest posts

Back