Bilstein adjustable front struts

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morticus

Reaction score
Has anyone seen these Bilstein shocks, or can anyone suggest if they are a good idea? They can wind your suspension up to 2.75" using the factory springs... - copied from Joe who copied this from another site:

"Bilstein's ride height adjustable 5100 Series replacement shocks for coil-over design front suspension pickups utilize the vehicle's existing stock coil spring.

The 5100 Series (Ride Height Adjustable) shocks feature multiple snap-ring grooves on the body of the shock to accommodate different spring seat positions, allowing height adjustments from 0" to 2.5", depending on the application. By raising the spring seat position, the factory rake can be altered to achieve a level front to rear ride height while accommodating up to 33" diameter tires.

Bilstein's patented digressive self-adjusting valving delivers improved damping control and a smooth ride on all road surfaces at any speed.
•Zinc-plated bodies
•Self-adjusting deflecting disc valving
•High-flow piston reduces harshness
•Independent rebound & Compression Tuning
•Larger Working Piston Area for Exact Damping
•Superior Control for Large Diameter Tires"

It seems that these could be pretty bloody good for what i want to do and for $550 a pair they seem like a bargain. These coupled with lifted rear springs could see a very cost effective lift if im not mistaken...

Hmmm, after reading the comments on that forum i dont think it would serve much purpose to use as a lift. They are designed to take away the factory rake, but seem to be a lot stiffer - which you dont really want for offroad. Would save people from having to use the front spacers to level the ride out, so in that application i can see these being spot on. I wonder what they would be like with lifted springs in place of regular shocks?

Have recently installed these in conjunction with 5100 series rears. I am using H/D OME springs front & rear & after some trial & error have settled on second setting from stock (1/2 inch) setting on strut. Any higher & spring was wound too tight & bounce was a major issue. Am now very happy & enjoying a top ride. Previously had Bilstein H/D shocks (4600 series) & am finding the new setup quite plush & a lot less jarring. Check US sites before buying as fronts & rears landed in Oz are actually cheaper.

I was looking at that last night. Its only $350 or so for both sets. How would you go with a standard duty 40mm raised spring? Are they only good to fix the rake?

Just over 1/2 inch over what I had. The spring perch was lifted to the half inch mark so it was to be expected. When I had it on the higher marks the lift was actually less than it should have been. I guess the spring was too compressed then. I'm not sure. The yanks are obsessed it seems with zero rake & that is what these are made for I think. Also to lift with stock springs. I got them to recover lift lost through bash plates & bars etc & they are Bilstein after all so they must be good. The thread on the club frontier forum has a lot of info in it but ultimately it comes down to personal preference. So far I'm very happy.

My cousin is using these (on dare i say it a hilux) with dobinsons 2" coils and has them set on the middle setting, it has lifted the front up by another inch and he says the ride is awesome.

Just a word of warning
I have a 2012 st d40 with tjm outback bar and 9500 pound winch, totaling close to 90kgs+

I've been talking to Kirk from 4wd1. In his experience 5100 are are good (only) for light-weight "sports truck" applications (no winch) and when fitted to factory original coils.

While the internal build-quality of the Biltein struts is superb, the units locating points (mounting points) are only original spec. With up rated strut damper, up rated coils and extra weight, you really need strut units that are over-engineered at all mounting/bushing locations.

He then goes on to say that tough dog foam-cell struts which certainly meet the category.

I have the 5100s all round with the stock coils in the front set on the second setting and dobinsons medium leafs in the back, it rides awesome, everyone that rides in it carnt believe how good it sits up and rides

Latest posts

Back