Diesel V6 ST-X down hills

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebra

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone with a 550 or V6 St-X has done any steep down hill driving in manual mode?
I went down the first hill this weekend and found that even in manual mode it changed up gears and would not hold the gear I selected !
Has anyone experienced this with their autos ?

Damm was hoping mine was'nt working properly !!
I have read about a manual lock-up convertor which I'm waiting to hear back about from wholesale auto transmissions.
This is like an over-ride which hold the gears I think ?

that's quite surprising, if it doesn't let you lock it into gear you'd have thought it would have computer controlled hill descent... pretty big oversight for a 4x4.

My STX wont hold a gear. It drove me insane up at Stockton. I'd put it in 3rd just to maintain the revs and it would change up and get me bogged.

I get the feeling that the box would be better if Nissan hadn't tried to make it "smart". Dumb it down and let the driver do some of the thinking. Some us can make the decisions on how we want to drive ........

Taking the nav into nissan dealer on thursday take them for a drive probably scare them a little when see changes up a gear or two on a steep downhill !!!
I have talked to a auto transmission repairer he said they havn't done any work on the new V6 models yet but would love to have mine for a couple days to see if they can develop something to fix the problem.
He was taking about a switch to turn off the speed senser so the transmission can't read what speed it's doing therefor wont change gears.
He also said that even if nissan say that the car is doing as designed that I should get an engineers report down and send it into the VACC mainly because it's not safe for long down hill decents!!!
If everyone with a 550 or ST-X V6 complained to there dealer something might get done quicker, maybe a recall to change the speed senser?

Yeah, mine's a 2006 auto, when i go down hills in full auto it changes down a gear, is this part of this issue?

Im pretty sure the SR5 hilux i had previous to the D40 used to stay in a gear unless you accelerated.

I get the feeling that the box would be better if Nissan hadn't tried to make it "smart". Dumb it down and let the driver do some of the thinking. Some us can make the decisions on how we want to drive ........
Seems to me its already dumb...... wonder if the Japanese engineers have ever driven these vehicles off road

Good to hear that other people have difficulty. Took mine off road as a bog standard vehicle with my bro in laws evoque. Bit embarrassing as he was able to go places I couldn't. His ramp over angle was a lot better so I would end up see-sawing. But on the steep down hill it gave me a huge fright when it jumped into second as it was a technical downhill. He had downhill assist and was noisy coming down.
I'm looking forward to getting a lift and sliders. Then we'll see where it goes! Too much over hang as well at the back.

The more people that complain the more chance we have of getting it changed. Ring the customer service line and write letters.
The design is completely contradictory to the owners manual and basic 4wding practices

Latest posts

Back