Driving in 4wd

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4X4D22

Reaction score
I have a question about driving in 4wd when in 4H and the front hubs locked up should I just stick to 2nd gear or can I drive through the gears and does the same apply for 4L? Any information on driving a d22 off road would be great cheers

Just drive through the gears. The only time you should NOT do that is when the water is lapping above the bottom door seals - that's when you don't change gears at all, just keep moving steadily.

Ok thanks mate cause I was driving the kings table land fire trail in the blue mountains yesterday ad was cautious about putting it into 3rd and 4th also not changing gears whilst in the water is that to keep the clutch from getting wet?

Not really, it's so that you keep that steady movement happening, which reduces how much water is able to get into the vehicle. Once you stop in the water, it will fill up fast - but keep moving and it doesn't fill as quickly (note: it still fills, so it's important to keep moving!).

Your clutch housing should be sealed. Your gearbox, transfer case and differentials all have breathers on them and you SHOULD extend these to some point above the deepest water you intend to wade through.

You should also use a wading bra across the front of the vehicle for the duration of the crossing. This not only further discourages water from entering the engine bay, but it prevents most sticks and debris from damaging the radiator.

Pretty sure you're spose to keep it below 50kmh in L4 and below 100kmh in H4 but can shift up and down the gears to your hearts content.

Your safer not using the clutch in a water crossing or bog hole just incase water does get in and wont engage or grip and leaves you stranded

Latest posts

Back