slide on canopy for d22 for a tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes570

Reaction score
hi all i have started my slide on canopy/ camper for a 03 d22 navara. i bought a frame 40x40x3mm thick with doors and locks ready welderd up with a very little surface rust on it but not shore if il be using the doors because they are made out of 25x25 angle. i have cleaned it up with a wire brush on the drill and ready for panting. i am having a little trouble with the checkered plate how should i connect it to the steel frame? what have people done, how have they connected it? any suggestions or idears would be good
il post up some photos soon.

sikaflex is the go. there is a specific type like sikaflex 207 or something youl have to check it out and find out. or rivets or button screws.
if you use the right sika and clamp it or apply weight till it sets it wont go anywhere and no holes for leaks

what sort of sikaflex, dose it hold? also is it posible to make it dust/ water proof?

these are some photos of the canopy nearly finished geting rid of the rust

Attachments

• 12-6BE376F4-2084052-800.jpg
    12-6BE376F4-2084052-800.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 675
  • 12-6D984F93-2015380-800.jpg
    12-6D984F93-2015380-800.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 473
thanx guys for your help. question how would i conect the canopy to the tub so it can be removed easer when i dont need it?

Flexiglass use a clamp design now on there top range canopy. No drilling required. Maybe some sort of clamp idea. Or if you not worried about putting holes in just drill 4x 10-12mm holes and put some bolts in.

Looks good mate. I am wanting to build an alloy slide on that will use the tub. Sell the canopy and have a tonneau when slide on isn't being used

Ok I went to buy some sikaflex and the people I spoke to had no idea witch one to sell me so can u help me plz

I'm trying to work out what I need to buy so I can finish the canopy soon ( I hope) I was looking in the shed and I found some primer and paint to paint the canopy but the primer is water base and the paint is oil base. Can I still use the both or do I need to pick one? If so which is more durable?

Last edited:
Go to a automotive paint supplies shop, the sikaflex they sell will be for bonding car parts and roof caps on cars so it should be good for what you need

havent taken any photos so far but i have cleaned all the rust off with a wire brush (for the drill) and ready for painting but im not shore if i should spray it with rust kill or just put primer on it and then paint it with paint :confused3: also should i cover it first and then paint it or paint the frame only?

im planing to use rust lock derustit rust converter to stop the rust coming back has anyone use it befor? if so what is the best way to apply it?

Haven't done much due to the weather as I don't have a shed or garage to work in so I'm doing it all out side. I'm doing all the running around to find stuff so when we get good weather a can do as much as I can. I'm looking for checker plate but I don't know what thicknes to use? What do people think?

Just an update on my canopy. I have brushed on the rust lock derustit rust converter to stop the rust coming back. Now I have to wait till tomorrow so it can dry and its ready to be undercoted with primer tomorrow if the weather holds up. Il post photos when I finish priming it. :afraid:

i have very bussy with work so i havent done much :pissedoff: i have only primed the canopy not the doors since i updated so i havent taken any photos but the first chance i get i will. my next step is to prime the doors and paint it with a aluminium colour wich i have and buy some checker plate sheets so i can cover it with and wire a light.

some progress was made i painted the doors and the canopy with two coats of primer yesterday and i gave it a light sand ready for colour hopfully tomorow and i managed to take some photos. next step is to buy alloy checker plate to cover it and some hinges. not shore what hingers to buy. any suggestions on hingers and thickness of the alloy? i was thinking 1.6mm alloy but not shore.

Attachments

• IMAG0242.jpg
    IMAG0242.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMAG0241.jpg
    IMAG0241.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 247
  • IMAG0243.jpg
    IMAG0243.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAG0244.jpg
    IMAG0244.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 255
looks pretty good. are you going to overlap the checker plate on the frame and put some sort of seal under there or haven't you decided yet? i'd say 1.6mm would be ok, that should hold up fairly well without being too heavy. i think people are making bash plates out of 5mm alloy but that needs to be a lot tougher than a canopy cover. are you going to checker plate the front where that mesh is too?

as for the hinges i guess it depends what you want to use. you could probably use those medium duty gate hinges, like these
hinge010.jpg

just one on each end

some progress was made i painted the doors and the canopy with two coats of primer yesterday and i gave it a light sand ready for colour hopfully tomorow and i managed to take some photos. next step is to buy alloy checker plate to cover it and some hinges. not shore what hingers to buy. any suggestions on hingers and thickness of the alloy? i was thinking 1.6mm alloy but not shore.

Looks tops mate! Love it!

Latest posts

Back