Illegal lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan_b

Reaction score
Hey guys

First of all I live in Vic.
I was ringing around after some costs on a steel bar and 2" suspension lift for my 2012 str..

I was told that a body lift was illegal?
Is this true or do you just need an engineers certificate for it to be legal.

Finally. if you need the certificate, does anyone know what you have to do to be able to write them? just asking because I have a Mech Eng degree

Cheers

Well shan B, maybe you can write us all engineers certificates????

I was told the same thing the other day by the bloke at opposite lock Newcastle. He said that the new laws are being rolled out accross the country. Now from what i read in the regulations, you are allowed maximim 150mm lift using 3 components of no more than 50mm each. So 2 inch suspension, 2 inch body lift and 2 inches by another means. But this might all be a load of shit and i might have no idea what im talking about. I do know for a fact in QLD you tell queensland transport that you intend to do the lift, they then say ok bring it in to show us after its done. they then say yeah thats a good body lift bro. No fkn idea about NSW. and im pretty sure VIC it's illegal.

To become a VASS Signatory, on top of the bachelor degree in engineering you also need some number of years of relevant industry experience, then go through an application/selection process. Not sure if there is a limit on the quantity of VASS signatories in total, ie someone has to retire for someone new to come in, no limit at all, or a limit based on how VicRoads perceives a need in an area.

Bodylifts on airbag equipped vehicles are a grey area. You can try calling a few engineers (list on the VicRoads website) and try to find one who has dealt with N- category 4x4s before, it can make all the difference. Also opinions differ so if one says no, keep trying until you've exhausted the list. The new STX/ST can't have a body lift or sliders, because of the side impact airbags (or something). But the STR, like I said, is a grey area. You can also go ahead and do it without legal permission, I haven't seen any decent evidence of a resulting denied insurance claim yet.

Denied insurance claim through car insurance or TAC insurance? i could almost definately say if you were in a rollover or something and injured yourself TAC would reject the claim as you were driving an unroadworthy or unsafe vehicle. I only mention this as i have been off work and receiving TAC LOE payments for the last 6 months and without it id be pretty much fu#@ed.
Its not just the LOE but the surgerys and physios and everything else that goes along with it..

Last edited:
ourd40 said:
Denied insurance claim through car insurance or TAC insurance? i could almost definately say if you were in a rollover or something and injured yourself TAC would reject the claim as you were driving an unroadworthy or unsafe vehicle. I only mention this as i have been off work and receiving TAC LOE payments for the last 6 months and without it id be pretty much fu#@ed.
Its not just the LOE but the surgerys and physios and everything else that goes along with it..

Unroadworthy or not you're covered as long as the vehicle is registered Clint.

In NSW you can do a body lift and have it engineered, depending!! On how your air bags on the particular vehicle are activated. The newer model car/4wd's that use a motion sensor - inertia sensor, can be body lifted as it will not effect how the sensor works.
The older ones that use a crush can, can not be lifted as the crush can can not be moved.

Hey guys. A lot of talk about the eastern state laws, does anyone know about body lifts in WA?? Thanks

Latest posts

Back