Rear bar

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-JOSH-

Reaction score
Hey guys

This is another rear bar question. I'm looking at making a custom rear bar/wheel/fuel carrier.
What I'm thinking about doing is unbolting the rear step from its brackets that bolt to chassis and using those two plates to weld an Lvl say 70x70 and 5mm or thicker too.
My question is do you think the two plates will be strong enough to hold one spare tyre and a fuel tank or should I replace with two thicker plates?
Also does anyone know legalities on making something like this myself?

Cheers
Josh

After you weld your back piece to the 2 original brackets you can weld another piece over them to make it stronger and then drill them out through the original brackets. i had been considering this as a option

Are you making a tow bar as part of it?

Fuel plus spare wheel is a fair bit of load, I'd replicate the c-section of the stock mounts with steel twice the thickness.

Id just make new plates to begin with you can use the originals as templates anyway. make it right make it once ;-)

Id just make new plates to begin with you can use the originals as templates anyway. make it right make it once ;-)

I do tend to agree with this and I will make up some new ones

No way are they strong enough.
Even with thicker bar irons unless you gusset it in the right places it won't be strong enough.
We can build you one

Cheers for the offer Scotty but I might have a crack at building my own. Would you recommend using lvl or some rhs as the main bar?

Cheers for that mate, that is a bit of a crazy job he has done.

Does anyone know the legalities on making this sort of bar myself? Can I do it or will insurance slam me?

Make it so it cant break and you wont need insurance :D
but i would imagine if your using it for towing it would need to be load rated and adr approved if not towing it shouldnt matter however i think its illegal to carry fuel on the outside of your vechile in most states military excluded cause there special lol could be wrong but

Yeah cheers mate might have a chat to the DOT and see what they have to say about it all. Surely they can't have a problem with it, I have built my own trailer so that's just as dangerous as a part hanging from your car.

I ditched the whole factory setup and went with 10mm steel. I carry my spare on a swing arm but no an extra fuel can. Pretty straight forward, I've got a thread on mine for simple ideas.

Back