Searching for a mainshaft

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btscrtch

Reaction score
Bought a 96 Navara 4wd with TD27 and 5speed manual gearbox FS5W71C. Have been driving it for two months before a clunk at the traffic lights and I lost all drive, even 4th and reverse. On opening the box, the mainshaft had been cracked for a while and I had finished it off! So here I am looking for ideally a replacement shaft (the rest of the box looks ok) or a complete box.

Don't think you'll have much luck getting a replacement shaft. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a bellhousing, and no wreckers would separate a gearbox for me. You might get a whole box, but if you're going to do that, look at getting a later model. I'm surprised that a 96 actually still has the 71C. Maybe try a FS5R30A from a more recent model? I think that the qd32 diesel had the same bell housing pattern as the TD27 so should be a direct fit. Not sure about the speedo though.

You might get a whole box, but if you're going to do that, look at getting a later model. I'm surprised that a 96 actually still has the 71C. Maybe try a FS5R30A from a more recent model? I think that the qd32 diesel had the same bell housing pattern as the TD27 so should be a direct fit. Not sure about the speedo though.

I can sell a whole box but it's for a Z24, you'd need to check if the mainshaft is the same between the two variants. Pinelli's suggestion about the 30A box is very valid though, and the speedo is a easy swap over.

Photos of my predicament

The mechanic suggested I do some searching, I think he had spent more time than he could afford already. On Saturday I contacted another mechanic who agreed to look through his stock and what do you know he found one! It is not in the best condition but its the best lead so far. I have uploaded some photos. Apparently few shafts are exactly the same as during the manufacturing process, dimensions are changed depending which way the wind is blowing at the time. The input end requires machining and a sleeve. The ground part is a concern but I'm leaving it to the experts (the transmission mechanics) to decide if it is a big enough issue. I have been told that it will be ok provided the thread is sufficient to take a nut. No one can figure out what could have caused the shaft to break in the first place but as far as I am concerned I just want to get my ute back on the road again.

Attachments

• 2012-07-21 12.23.53.jpg
    2012-07-21 12.23.53.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2012-07-21 12.18.48.jpg
    2012-07-21 12.18.48.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 2012-07-21 12.16.59.jpg
    2012-07-21 12.16.59.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 2012-07-21 12.16.04.jpg
    2012-07-21 12.16.04.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 87
Don't think you'll have much luck getting a replacement shaft. I spent quite a bit of time looking for a bellhousing, and no wreckers would separate a gearbox for me. You might get a whole box, but if you're going to do that, look at getting a later model. I'm surprised that a 96 actually still has the 71C. Maybe try a FS5R30A from a more recent model? I think that the qd32 diesel had the same bell housing pattern as the TD27 so should be a direct fit. Not sure about the speedo though.

What he said.

Heaps stronger box, even with 300,000km's on it. Still should be fine.

FS5R30A that is.

Latest posts

Back