D40 st- x

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramjet

Reaction score
Hi ,
I've been looking for sometime to replace my current truck and have been considering getting into a 2nd hand D40 ST- X. My situation is this ....

I tow a CapeYork Off-road Camper (about 1.2 - 1.3 T) and have a couple of Kayaks on the roof as well as a 60L Engle in the back and 3 - 4 people and their kit.

We have travelled a fair few of the dirt roads around Northern Qld including the Gulf country and while they are not generally what I'd call hardcore 4WD off road stuff the surface in places has been pretty rough
(seriously corruggggggated)

Now our plan - as the kids are starting to leave home - is to use tent(s) and not tow as often or if at all. I figure a Double Cab ute c/w canopy and roof rack will fit the bill there.

I really like the look of the Navara - but from experience do you guys think it will do the job. Will they tow that weight easily - I mean uphills without slowing down like my current T machine does ? What is engine life like and what fuel consumption can I expect - towing and not towing? Are there any other issues to be aware off.

I was thinking a mild lift maybe just to improve clearance and a b/bar (steel probably ).

I am pretty cautious by nature and don't want to spend $40 big ones on getting set up and finding that it's not cutting the mustard so to speak.

Discount new Cars quotes $39000 driveaway for the RX model - is that for real ? I could nearly afford that plus a canopy,b/bar dual batteries etc. Is there much difference between the RX and ST- X ?

I know - so many questions with so many answers but I really am looking for a bit of advice here so I will happily hear whatever is offered.

Thanks very much

Ramjet

The RX's looked pretty basic to me, I dont reckon you save enough cash to not go the extra for the ST-x. I paid $42000 driveaway for mine in the first half half of this year. I think stocks are lower at the moment so could be a bit more expensive.

A lot of guys use them for towing and are happy, the have good power out of the showroom and if you put a better exhaust on or even a chip they really go well.

I cant comment on engine life because mines only 6 odd months old. I get around 11l/100km out of mine, mostly city driving.

If you are doing any off road, they are a great 4x4 but definately budget for a 2 inch lift and underbody guards from Brown Davis or TJM, they are pretty low out of the factory. I have been pretty impressed with how mine goes off road.

Bear in mind also that there is zero room in the engine bay for a second battery, most put them under the tub or inside the tub somewhere.

Hopefully some of that was a help for you? Let us know if you have any more questions, we are happy to help if we can. Have fun shopping!

Matt’s comments above sum the D40 up very well. Only one other mod you’d need to budget for – some decent muddies or at least ATs.

Latest posts

Back