How to install an ebay winch on a D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

180%JOE

Reaction score

Hi all,

I haven't done a "DIY" article in a while but today I installed my new ebay winch into the standard winch bar on my Nav. This is a how to guide for anyone who wants to try this at home.

Time: Took me about three hours by myself. I would advise a helper as the winch is bloody heavy/awkward for one person. Also I was able to leave the bulbar on the vehicle which helped me, but you may remove the bar for easier installation.

Tools needed:
-Good Socket and spanner sets
-Circlip and normal pliers
-Phillips and Flathead screwdrivers
-Allen Keys
-Knife

Parts needed:
-Winch + accessories
-Check your bolt lengths included in the kit (Mine were perfect) may have to get longer ones. ie. 10mm for the top bolts and 5mm for the bottom.
-Cable protection
- 500A Isolator (if you want to disconnect power to the winch for security)
- Carton of desired beverage

Step 1:
Remove number plate, to access the four bolt holes where the winch will mount to. Also remove the bottom bash plate using a 14mm socket and undo the 8 bolts holding it on.

IMG_1209.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

Step 2:
Lay out all the parts from the box, make sure you have everything. Test fit the winch to see if you have access from underneath the bulbar so that you don’t have to remove it, as the whole bar would be very awkward to reinstall by yourself. Next if from the test fitting you need to rotate the gear box handle for better access for use, now is the time. So to do this you need to use an allen key and undo the 10 bolts on the end so that you can rotate to a better position. Once completed, we can install the winch to the bar. You can now cut the ties holding the wire in place as well. (Be careful of the tension and backlash upon release)
IMG_1211.jpg

Step 3:
My winch uses a four point foot mounting system that can be mounted horizontally or vertically. In the foot of the winch is a place for the nuts to slide in. I had trouble keeping the nuts in when I was lifting the winch into place so I used some of the packing and sticky tape to hole them in place.

IMG_1214.jpg

Lift the winch up and line up the holes with the bulbar plate. It is easier to install the bottom bolts first to hold it in place without the fairlead rollers, and then put in the top two bolts. Then you can take out the bottom bolts, Pull the wire eyelet through the fairlead and place the fairlead rollers in place and bolt through and into the winch. Tighten to the specified torque. It is now in place.

IMG_1215.jpg

Step 4:
Electrical connection time. It is up to you where to mount the electrical control box, I had a look at a few options and in the end the amount of cable dictates the best place. I found that it would fit perfectly on the two poles of the top of the winch. My only problem was that I needed to change the orientation of the mounting system of the control box. So I opened the box, with four screws underneath using a Phillips screwdriver, I then unbolted the two metal holders and turned them sideways, bolted them back together and screwed the top plate back on.

IMG_1216.jpg

Step 5:
To be able to mount the control box you need to take off the front chrome grill so that it will slide down into position. This is done by turning four twist locks on the top part of the grill using a flat blade screwdriver. With these released the remaining bottom three clips pop up to release. Now you can remove the grill, once this is done also remove the middle metal support for the grill by using a 10mm socket to undo the two bolts, then you can begin to slide the control box into place. To help I also loosened the horn mount and turned it out of the way. To get it down you must also take off the bottom pole of the winch. This is done by using an allen key (Bolt is M8x25 six sided head) to remove the two bolts either side and taking the pole off. Once out of the way continue installing the control box. It is a little tricky to manoeuvre but it does fit. To secure the box, slide the winch pole back in and reattach, then place the box clips over the pole and underneath there are two grub screws to hold the box in place.

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

Last edited:
Step 6:
It is now time to connect the power cables. Follow the manual for your winch, mine showed it this way; First, Short red connect to red on motor, tighten using a 14mm spanner or socket.

IMG_1220.jpg

Next Black with yellow boot to yellow on motor, then Black with black boot to black on top of motor. Then small black and long black both connect to the bottom of the motor this is a 17mm bolt.

IMG_1221.jpg

The long red and long black are then connected to the battery. I used a protective cover for the wires then ran them through the headlight fitting to the battery. Zip tie everything out of the way and you are almost ready to test.

IMG_1223.jpg

IMG_1224.jpg

I have not used an isolator yet as I did not have one. But to install one you need a few joiners and crimping pliers. Have the isolator inline of the red power cable and install in the engine bay.

Last edited:
Step 7:
Now it is time to install the hook to the cable. This is done by removing the split pin with side cutters carefully as not to cut through them. Then take out the holding pin, put it over the wire eyelet, place the pin through again (Mine was a pain to line up) then reinsert the split pin and bend one side back to lock it in place. Hook is now on. To test the winch, turn the clutch to free spool pull out desired length, turn clutch back to original position then using the hand controller or wireless controller wind the winch in and out while applying some tension to the line. Guide the wire back on evenly, re install the grill and bash plate etc. and you are finished.

Take a step back open another beer and admire.

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

IMG_1227.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect timing! Mine turned up today haha
Great wire up mate!

Attachments

• image-1822058046.jpg
    image-1822058046.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 353
Hey Fatboy 89, is that the same brand just with dynama rope? Lil Menace, yeah it is a pain but I havent turned it upside down yet so that you can reach in through the bullbar and turn it. But dont forget it has a power out option as well for now. I included how to do it in the write up but I needed mine in asap for a bucks weekend at landcruiser soon and I was running out of time. Ive got a few little things left to do like the isolator switch and more waterproofing.

Last edited:
Top write up
very easy to follow

Looks a hell of a lot like the Tigerz11 winch I got
What current does it draw at max and what size do you reckon the cables are?

Last edited:
Nice write up Joe . not sure if you know , but you can rotate the clutch to where you need it , and also you can mount the control box pretty much anywhere if you don't want it there , lots extend the wires and mount it in the engine bay somewhere

Hi guys and I know this thread maybe a little out of date but Steve I note that you say that with a steel bull bar there is not a need for a winch mount plate? Given that I have a D22 with a standard bull bar fitted is there a maximum winch load (ie 9k or 12k ) that the bull bar be able to take. I'm running a roo's system 12k rope winch and have been told that I could potentially pull the bull bar off if used?

Any input would be helpful.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back