Hot under load

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarredv

Reaction score
Hey I have a d21 2.7td. Which runs fine but when it under load like running up the beach at high tide (soft sand) or driving up steep hills with weight on the back. It tends to get really hot and would overheat if i let it. It has a new radiator and thermostat. Any idea how I can fix this?

Check fan is working correctly get a reverse flush done on radiator and block if that doesnt fix it look at tje water pump but that is unlikely

Do you hear the fan get louder? Is the engine from a terrano? They have the wrong thermostat for Australia from factory

no bubbles in the radiator and dont think the head has a crack because the temp sits below half always except for when its extra under load. not sure where the engine is from but i have changed the thermostat and the water pump is new. thanks for your ideas though

The temp sitting half way normally doesn't rule out a head gasket, but no bubbles is good. You losing water? How does it go sitting at the lights? You using the correct coolant, or water?

Was the radiator for the td27, or for a TD27T (not sure if there is a difference there, but there is a difference in power in the engines)

How long have you had the truck for? Has it started doing this recently, or as long as you've had it?

Does it have all the shroud and bits and pieces around the engine bay and wheel arches to direct the air through the radiator and over the engine? If they've been taken out you won't get as much air through the radiator and it won't be as efficient.

Does it have an electric fan? Any chance it was put in backwards?

Has the system been flushed? Did you run the heater while flushing it?

Just brainstorming here - hopefully something will twig.

Check the seat under the thermostat where the bypass closes off. They are prone to cavitation in the td27t, which erodes the seat and the thermostat cant close the bypass completely, and coolant will bypass the radiator and not get cooled.

The symptoms you decribe are identical to what was happening with my td27t. and this was the problem

Latest posts

Back