Pick up the new ST-R tomorrow!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Well the last month has fairly flown by ..... NOT! and the day has finally arrived, in less than 24 hours I'll be sitting in my new smelling, shiny 09 ST-R.

First brand new car ever, couldn't be more excited! Lots of work to do tomorrow night swapping accessories over from the old to the new. Spotties, tyres, bonnet guard, headlight protectors, dash mat

I'll post some pics soon as I get the car home and kitted up.

I asked about getting the factory snorkel fitted and the answer was $949. I took a big pass on that and will fit one later down the track myself. Bummer!

Still, It's a happy Day. Anyone wanna buy my 04 ST-R?
Cheers,

DJ

One is STR is good for me.

Know that feeling about waiting for your new car.

Good luck and pics.

Dave.

I can't wait to hear what you think the differences are between the o4 and the 09. Make sure you let us know!

Hey Guys,

It's just 6 hours and thirty seven minutes until my new love and I meet (but who's counting?)

Only thing left to do is the painful bit, go to the bank and grab the bank check with all the zero's on it.

I'll definately do a write up of comparison as soon as I get the chance. Odds are I might have to go for a drive somewhere tomorrow :elefant::elefant::elefant:

Cheers,

DJ

Ha, counting the minutes now? Congrats on the buy!
We're all waiting for the pics
I snagged a snorkel off nissan for $306 fitted at the start of the year when i got mine, i'm sure they have room to negotiate..

DJ should have it by now. Probably half way to Adelaide!!!

Haha Jason! If only!

I picked up my new wheels this evening and gladly parted with the cheque, it looks really great, so shiny!

I was trying not to look to excited and then thought, fuck it! I am excited. When getting the run down on the cruise control by the sales guy, the door was opened and, oh! that beautiful new car smell - oh man that made me smile! Oh and the Cruise Control, happy happy! So nice to have cruise again. Cruise is essential in WA for long Northern trips and I missed it from my Patrol GU.

Lots of little things different to my 04, leaving engine bits aside (oh and I got my snorkel, just not fitted, a job for a rainy day).

New one has a chime if you leave your lights on and get out of the car with IGN off, nice. I don't know how many times I left the lights on in the '04.

The new one has a little km to service indicator which can be preset to whatever you want. It also tells you "Oil Good" on start up, if I push the reset button, it will actually give me an oil level on a scale of 1-5. Sweet!

Dual Airbags, ABS brakes different/better door handles and different lighting colours on the dash I think, have to check 2moz.

The new canopy (flexiglass) is really nice and looks great, has high level stop light and interior light as standard as well as integrated dust deflector and better sliding window at front to make cleaning easier.

The things I don't like:

I can't hear the turbo on this little motor, on my ZD30 I can hear it whistling away from 1900rpm. I struggle to hear it at all on the new car. Is that normal for the 2.5?

The speedo over reads by nearly 10km/h at 100km/h Blah!

New engine sounds a lot different to the old 3.0 obviously the fuel injection system sounds very clickety clack. Just gotta get used to it.

Feels like there is a delay in the throttle pedal, I'll get used to that so no matter there. Power and torque feel similar ish to the 3.0 despite the power being down a tad. Still accelerates decently with revs up in any gear.

Couldn't godriving tonight, minding the kids whilst the missus went out. I did however start transfering bits and pieces over. Headlight protectors, bonnet protector, dash mat, and will start changing over the Hellas tomorrow too as well as my Waeco fast charge kit.

All in all, very happy. The dealer went as far as taking a piccie of me and my baby and will mail a calendar in a week or so. LOL!

So nice to have a new car might have to skip work tomorrow and go for a drive. :big_smile:

I'll post pics when I get a chance to snap a few off.

Cheers lads,

DJ

good read thanks mate. Now all we need is a few goddamned photo's! Your description is lovely but without seeing it... well...

Hi Guys,

Haven't had hardly any time to play and start fixing up my new Nav so I took a couple of pics to show you what she looks like "as is"

My pride and joy!

I'll post up a couple more when I get the tyres on it, and snorkel fitted. I know she's fairly stock, but I'm diggin' it already.

Cheers,

DJ

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Wow, they still ship them with those four spoke wheels.

You must be loving the new car smell. Enjoy, mate.

Good colour choice by the way, utes should be white.

Hi Guys,

Got time to spend on the ute today as the strife and squids are away for a week.

Changed over the tyres to the BFG's and also installed the snorkel today. What a crap job that was. I bought a cheapy hole saw and that's where the fun started. It got blunt 1/3 of the way through the guard even with cutting fluid. Cheap Chinese SHIT! But it was like $160 for a good hole saw, stuff that for a once off use.

Anyways, the job went well and now she looks hawt! Gotta look at the lift kit next and then the DP chip.

I'm gonna go for a 2" suspension lift. What kits do you guys recommend, I'm usually happy to install myself.

Cheers,

DJ

P.S Aint she beuwwdiful!

Attachments

• IMG_2656.jpg
    IMG_2656.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2654.jpg
    IMG_2654.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 49
take off your bonnet protector...

the bonnet deflector redirects the air flow across the bonnet meaning the actual bonnet scoop doesn't receive a stream of cool flowing air.

i've read this up on multiple cars, even the navara's.

little quote:
The advice I was given that the original design is not very efficient (scoopr is not tall enough) and adding the bonnet protector only makes the situation worse. The mechanics who did my mod said they had done a test once and under the right conditions ( don't know what they are) they have seen air flow out of the scoop rather than into it. Even ignoring this comment, I have had a bonnet protector on my patrol since I bought it and only noticed the behaviour of water on the bonnet after it was pointed out to me. At 110kph water was not being blown away as you would expect but rather it was beading on the bonnet. Seeing this and realising that no bonnet scoop is going to catch much air at low speeds I decided to install the intercooler fan which pumps air into the intercooler all the time when the engine is running. It is not a thermo fan, it is on all the tme. Better to keep things cool than wait untill things get to hot.

edit: though if anything the bullbars affect flow...guess you cant win these days!

great navara by the way, havent seen many of the 2.5L dual cabs in perth, usually the 3L ones. too bad you havent got the license plates my mate got on his crappy lil hatchback "DEEJAY", haha. if you see a navara d22 with 7 MK plates give me a hoot!

Last edited:
Hey Thanks guys,

Lovin the new ute, looking for excuses to go for drives around just so I can sit in her and smell that new car smell. Hmmmm!

The new snorkel sure is noisy when the turbo starts winding up, still cant hear the turbo whistle, but there is a whooshing sound of the air sucking in through the snorkel head as the turbo boost kicks in.

@ Maddogrc,

I was watching the water on my bonnet the other day and at only 70kph, the beading was blowing back across the bonnet. The bonnet is obviously freshly polished and the droplets were large. You are right though about the drops not normally moving. This is due to "Boundary layer effect" Basically the air at the surface sticks to the skin due to friction and doesn't move.

On a freshly waxed bonnet, the water was moving towards and around the scoop. The stone guard on the bonnet would reduce the gap between the bull bar and bonnet and so reduce the airflow close to the bonnet skin. The turbulence created by the bullbar would in fact possibly be bouyed above the bonnet by whatever air layer moves between the bar and stone guard.

You're probably right, if I removed the stone guard it would probably feed the scoop more efficiently, but I like the look of the stone, don't like stone chips and reckon the ST-R performs pretty good, even as a stock unit.

You have peeked my interest though and may set up some wool tell tales on and around the scoop to see exactly what the wind is doing across the bonnet. Once I get a chance to do it, I'll post some pics of my findings.

Cheers,

I think I need to go for another drive hehe!

DJ

Latest posts

Back