Poping/pinging noise from engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spender

Reaction score
Can any one help i have a D22 with zd30 engine with 180000ks on the clock
and i have a poping/pinging noise from the engine is this normal.
The best way to describe the noise is like when you open and close your lips quickly.
The nav is not blowing any smoke and is doing great milage at 9.5L/100km.
I did notice the oil level is a bit high.

Last edited:
Thanks bob, Theres no other symptoms and it idles fine, runs smoothly. I will take a look at the exhaust when i do the service this weekend.

give it a couple of good 5 grand rev's if that doesn't fix it stuffs me.
cause i have no idea lol

hey noticed yesterday that mine while idling after a run will make a 'tinking/pinging' noise which im pretty sure is just turbo/exhust or something cooling down. could be a similar noise to what your hearing?

mine does a tinking cracking noise when very hot. typically only in summer. i think that just the pipes cooling and shrinking.

I had a look on the weekend, I didn't find any thing when i changed the oil and the oil was as cleen as you would expect for a 5000k service. I also did an ECU download and it didn't show any thing.

Thanks for the reply's guy's.

Not realy, I just think it's a normal noise, Ive put another 15000k on the clock since then and no bang so it can't be any thing major.

Using the right oils?? it doesnt sound like a knock in the motor or anything??
Tappets kinda sound?? or like steel cooling sound?

mate if its the sound im thinking of it could spell bad news. mine had a similar sound going by your description and ended up being the exhaust valves on cylinder 2 had a clearance of 3-3.5mm. to cut a long story short it was a head off job, new head and top end rebuild. i got the old girl back in about a week and over 3 grand later.

I think the noise is normal as i have listened to about a dozen navaras now and the all sound the same, so i'm not worried.

Back