RB25/RB30 into a D21

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinelli

Reaction score
Found a fellow across the ditch doing just this, in fact the RB25DET. I did consider doing this myself (an RB30, actually, but same size block etc) at one stage, but decided it was too difficult - the motor is just too long to fit in the engine bay.

Having read what he is doing to get it to work, it still sounds like too much work for me :)

But, an entertaining read, and given that people pop up from time to time asking if its possible, thought it might be worth adding this to the forum

http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30631

the 25 actually has a smaller block, doesn't sit as tall as the rb30 but as you said it looks like the length would be the problem, a vq30det is a very compact and very powerful motor though:)
would go very nicely in the d21!

Yes, you're right about the height. I meant the length. They won't fit in the bay without modifying the dariator, crossmembers, driveshaft etc, as this fellow has done.

A VQ would indeed go nicely.

Hey guys was looking at the net and find your link to my rb25 project...just wanted to say the length is not as big of problem as you may expect i was told it would never fit and i proved it does.. my forum stats most the problems i encounted along the way...if you ever do decided to look into it feel free to contact me and i will share what i have found.

We do like our 1jz and rb engines as they are proven strong, reliable and fast.

The vg/vq engine would be a very simple bolt up, matter of fact i have one here also from a nissan 300zx (vg30dett) only reason i chose the Rb engine is the vg cannot take a beating and love to pop head gaskets (2x 300zx twin turbos and 1x 300zx non turbo) all three had head problems

Last edited:
vq30det is a very different kettle of fish to the vg30
much more modern design and all alloy, a guy in perth had one in his r32 sedan that made a reliable 500rwhp for many years, he lifted a head when he pushed a bunch of boost into it (to4z) but he was pushing it to see what the motor was capable of.
very strong and very reliable engines!

also after owning a ke10 corolla with a 265 hemi and driving it daily i never say impossible when it comes to engine conversions!

^ A mate races a offroad buggy, he has a 400 odd Hp LS2, he said he still cant keep up with the VQ30DET's and the Twin Turbo Honda V6's.

The VQ's are a fairly compact motor.

once i finish the vq30det conversion in my 180sx, ill be on the lookout for a spare nav/terrano to put a vq into....such an awsome motor.

Latest posts

Back