Only have 4th gear.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinky

Reaction score
Have just lost all but 4th gear. No warning or anything. Was just driving up to an intersection in 3rd, was a strange noise, kinda like a rapid clunking. When I went to take off again, it made the same sound in 1st. So I stopped and had a look under the car. Couldn't see anything obvious. Went to drive away, no 1st 2nd 3rd 5th or reverse. Drove home in 4th. 4th is fine.

Now I'm aware that this bad. But how bad?
I was planning on selling it soon, so how much less will it be worth now, and is it worth repairing to sell? Or just selling it as is.

They are an expensive box to rebuild I believe. Try and find a second hand one and chuck it in to sell. They are a weak box so anything you buy will be half stuffed already. But it should drive nicely like yours did. Not sure of the reason but they just seem to fail without warning.

Sounds like the lay shaft. 4th gear is basically straight through the gearbox (hence the 1.00:1 ratio), everything else runs through a second shaft.

^ What he said. VL's and R31's use the same box.

I vote rebuild if you plan on keeping it.

The QD32 box can be bolted up to the TD27. Heaps stronger gearbox.

Hmm. I'd kinda already decided I was going to sell it before this happened. So its probably more down to whether its worth repairing to sell, sell as is, or part it out. Money is tight, and I can't afford to put x amount of money into it unless I get at least the same back out of it in sale.
Apart from the gearbox, it's mechanically sound, but its a little rough aesthetically, so i'm unsure if, say $1500 or something spent on the box, is gonna add $1500 of value to it.

I vote fix the gearbox.

Got any mechanic mates.

You've already had 1 vote! You cant have another. Haha.

I know the guy at the local 4wd mechanic, might talk to him and see what he reckons, jus dont want to spend too much on a car that I intend to sell.

Shame your not close by.

I know a few diesel mechanics that do cashies.

Thought about rebuilding it yourself ?

The D22 service manual has all the info for that gearbbox.

I havent really got the time/facilities to rebuild it myself. The car is currently at my girlfriends place, which is 120km from home, so i'm limited by that.

I've got a gear set I can sell you... Up to you to get it fitted to your box though. It's from a z24 d21 so the bell housing is different but the gearset is supposed to be the same. PM me to discuss if you're interested.

I guess that its problem with countershaft maybe bearings and shaft misaligned,
as someone said 4th is 1:1 goes straight, however countershaft also rotates,
I think that there is no point of fixing it, cost be to high due to worktime.

Latest posts

Back