Custom tray ideas

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4.8GU

Reaction score
Hey guys hope all are well.

I just thought I would get some feedback from others as to what they think would make a good tray for the Navara (d40 stx dual cab)

I have decided to bight the bullet and get one made as I just don't have enough room with the factory tub. I love the look of it though.

Anyway has anyone got any pictures of D40's in particular dual cabs with nice tray backs on em.

I am thinking I will get it done in alloy with a rollbar at front and some boxes at rear under tray

I really like the look of this one in the pic. It is steel but could easily copy in alloy.

Any info from people that have gone thru the process of changing and can offer any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 4854609.jpg
    4854609.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,088
  • 4854611.jpg
    4854611.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 586
Why do you prefer ally out of curiosity mate?

I want to get a steel one so hopefully the ride is a bit better, I have heavy duty springs so i would need a kidney belt with an ally tray.

I am really torn about the alloy thing actually.

I am more than capable of making a steel tray myself and can use the gear at work to do it but I was worried about too much weight

If I go alloy I will have to get someone to make most of it for me and I will finish it off as I don't want to be tig welding up a tray for two years!!! lol.

I guess that is the main reason I want alloy but rust is another as I do like to go up the beach a bit.

My idea of an alloy tray is not like ya standard nissan tray or cheapo type thing but something quite strong. Will also have water tank (min 60L) and battery underneath so should gain a bit of weight there.

I will not be carrying anything too heavy so alloy should be fine especially if made well. My springs are only medium so can't go too heavy.

I think the tray in my pic is my favorite so far and I would like to maybe add a canopy or something like that later.

Happy to hear comments pro and con for steel etc though.

Me and a mate lifted my steel tray off, and I'm no gorilla. Just to give you a gauge for steel tray weight.

I found my steel tray terrible, it was rusted to buggery. I'd go alloy all the way but I hate the alloy tray look, so I'd be sticking with smooth polished alloy with rhinoliner on the bed.

With the water tank full and the battery you'll make up the difference easily. (60kg + ~15kg)

Good luck with it all.

Here's a D40 that was done at the same engineering place that did my D22 tray. Looks the goods.

Attachments

• DSCF1333.JPG
    DSCF1333.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 759
  • DSCF1335.JPG
    DSCF1335.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 1,430
  • DSCF1339.JPG
    DSCF1339.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 738
  • DSCF1343.JPG
    DSCF1343.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 1,022
Thanks mate that is awesome.
While I won't be putting boxes like that on mine it really helps to see where things line up etc.

Steel just makes it much easier for me to make myself (therefore cheaper) but alloy is obviously easier for rust etc.

Keep the pics coming if ya got em it helps a lot with ideas etc.

A mate of mine did his Patrol (single cab) with an alloy tray including the main bars underneath supporting it. His main reason was that if someone rear ended him the alloy would collapse easier than steel and he would prefer not to be punched in the backside with a steel frame.

I got a heavy duty alloy tray by Flexiglass on my King cab when I bought it, was a bit worried thinking their idea of heavy duty & mine would be different but alas its not, can't fault it at all. I have two big toolboxes on top & trundle tray under, only thing i'm thinking of is something between the trundle & the cab, like an extra box, fuel tank, water tank or something................. maybe diesel gas in the future

Latest posts

Back