4x4 and Spearishing/fishing Trip (end of year)

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawry

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Heading up at the end of the year to airlie beach and areas in between from Wollongong NSW. total of 5 weeks.
The trip is on its VERY early stages of planning. Trying to sort out spots to camp.
Camping will be in the back of the ute. (full canvas canopy on extended tray).
Really just doing the shifty pull by side of road and sleep.... i no this can be illegal.

So to save the legality costs im after some spots where i can stay legally in a park ( or equivalent) which also has Great fishing, maybe a toilet AND doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Got a new spots planned out so far:

Cresent head
Byron bay
1 week at fraser
1 week at airlie

Need about 6 more spots, give or take in any order of distance. from wollongong.

Please feel free to fill them in, they don't have to be secret fishing spots just some decent accessible headlands/bommies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers Matt

Forster/tuncurry is pretty nice. good fishing too. except it is pretty close to crescent

Turn right at the servo at Ilbilbie, its about 30 mins south of Sarina, and an hour south of Mackay. There is an awesome spot out there called Notch point. Can launch a tinny on the river side, or if your really energetic, off the beach. Stunning estuary and a good spot to stop for a night or 2.

Oh , and as far as spearfishing goes, you will find the water very cloudy past fraser island, unless you can get offshore a bit. Thats why Airlie is good, as you have access to thousands of islands, and the water will be crystal clear.

Thanks guys, Yer i hear the northern inshore waters of QLD are pretty dirty. Wish i had a boat. :/

That hole area is just covered in river/stream outlets. Unless there is a long break in weather that places by the looks of it would turn to pea soup in no time.

Ive been there after a shitload of rain, its still pretty good. Most of the camp areas are grass and a bit sandy. Not looking for 5 star are you? With the 4x4, you shouldn't get stuck if your not doing anything silly...

Hey mate,

you could also try the spearoz forum, u might get more help from them

campsites 1 star ha, water quality is what im after. wiling to travel anywhere along the coast

If possible, id try get a charter out from Hat head in mid north NSW, if you dont have access to a boat. Get out onto the FADs and spear some dolphin fish. water is about 200-250m deep and visibility is about 50m.

Im already a part of spearoz, also put up a thread there for help.

been diving for years, Alot in nsw but never in QLD, love pluggin dollys so good on the chew as well.

By the looks of it i might have to plan most of my diving in southern- Mid QLD and just watch the conditions when im further up north.

Whats the water temp like up at airlie, start of the year, 25?

Hahaha its toastie thats for sure. You will have a good time at Airlie though, especially if you hit a school of GTs haha

Buy or borrow the camps Australia book, It lists spots all over oz where you can free camp and if there is any time restrictions and what if any water or toilets

Latest posts

Back