Bad noise in gearbox... Help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kickars2

Reaction score
:dontknow:hey guys,

went for a quick run around glasshouse mountains yesterday.
nothing serious, and went back to my mate's and left his a couple of hour's later.
as soon as we got onto the highway i heard this tapping noise, and i thought it was a tyre with uneven tread wear.
then i hit the clutch and it stoped, put it in nuteral and it stopped.
so i stopped to check for gearbox oil and it was full but there was a little leak down the join in the gear box. so we kept driving and found out the noise is only in 4th and 5th gear, and when you back off the throttle the noise isn't as loud.
what did i do to it?
the noise wasn't there from the 4wd tracks to my mate's(which is along the sunshine motorway) but as soon as we were on the highway after leaving his we could hear it.

i dropped it into nissan this moring they can't look at it for 2 days, i told him to keep it there as i drive 85km's to work and back on the highway a day. and i dont want the gearbox to let go while im driving home.

any idea's on what has happened.

i think after the warrenty run's out im going to sell it.:dontknow:

well i talked to nissan, and they said the gear box is fine, they said it the rear diff.
so new rear diff for me

I'm going to have a stab at the crown & pinion being buggered by the centre not being shimmed properly when the locker was installed?

well the diff has had problems with the carrier bearing before the locker went in, so a new one was put in when the locker went in.
well it's had about 26k km put on it since the locker went in.
were going to drop the oil in the diff this afternoon to see if we can find anything.

well guy's i feel real ashamed, the navara had to be put on a car trailer today.
it was only a 35km drive to the work shop i got like 3 or 4 km into and the noise was bad so i decide that to pull over and get a car trailer cause i didn't want to damage anything else.

well guy's the problem has been found 3 teeth broken on the crown wheel is the problem.
and the diff is going to be taken out today and be sent to diff lap to be rebuilt and new parts, so hopefully ill have the car back next week.

and they do a 2 year warrenty on the diff and locker after diff lap work, that's a big call lol

well guy's i feel real ashamed, the navara had to be put on a car trailer today.
it was only a 35km drive to the work shop i got like 3 or 4 km into and the noise was bad so i decide that to pull over and get a car trailer cause i didn't want to damage anything else.
Nothing to be ashamed about, at least it wasn't on the scrap truck like I have seen plenty of yota's on!

yeah i have to get the diff fixed, and get a new dual battery and get the box mounted properly, before i go to crusier park.

im having a run on diffs this year, a front and rear diff done in 6 months

Latest posts

Back