Brake pedal goes down too much

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhotnavara

Reaction score
Hi gents,

I just had air lockers installed by ARB and ever since I picked it up last Monday, my brakes feel weird. When I press the brake pedal, it goes down more than it usually did prior to the lockers. In fact, they feel very spongy. Also, if I sit at the lights, when I pump the brake and press, it slowly goes down and down until the end.

This worried me, so I bought some fluid, and bled the brake lines, actually flushed out all the old fluid (it's a 2010 model). I did notice a fair bit of bubbles come out of the rears and a bit from the front passenger, which I thought solved the issue but when I took it for a test drive, still the same.

This is now worrying me as I know the brakes definitely don't feel the same. What can I do from here on?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

ARB are good but they're not perfect. It's likely there's still some air in the lines or there's a leak somewhere, through something that wasn't tightened up properly. I'd be underneath with a good torch looking for leaks while someone was inside pumping the brake pedal. Check around the master cylinder as well.

My pedal has always been like that but maybe in your case they have just made it worse.

My suggestion would be to check that they rear brakes don't need adjusting. ( They should be self adjusting but that doesn't always happen) or check they haven't altered or damaged the load sensing valve attached to the rear diff.

Hi I had the same feeling a while ago and I enquired with Nissan at the last service: they told it had something to do with the vacuum of the brake system. It is a weird feeling but they are supposed to work like that(??????)
But again, if you are sure that it did not work like that prior to the ARB job I would have it check out professionally, you want to be sure they work!

do you run drums on the rear? or discs

If drums then you need to take the shoes out as closest the the drum surface as possible.
Re- bleed the lines and as the rest have said check for air/ oil leaks.

But finally HOW ARE YOU BLEEDING THE BRAKES?

if you have a soft and spongy pedel check that your brake booster is not leaking vacumn back into the cab.go some where quit no noise and depress the pedel slowly down or just listen.Mine leaks back into the cab. 2007 stx

Back