4wd shops in canberra

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d401983

Reaction score
hey there just wondering which shop people find the best in and around canberra that they go too? there aint too many!

thanks

My mate almost ended up in court with Hume off road, ended up at ACCC instead. Guess it depends how you go. All the blokes at work use Mitchell offroad, I've got a mechanic in Fyshwick I use for half my work, the other half I do myself.
ARB are expensive, Pride in Fyshwick are good but lead time is massive, and wheels n tyres I go to Fyshwick Quickfit (best prices).

What sort of work do you want to get done?

just looking at getting a 2inch lift, exhaust, chip and bullbar. ill probably go to roadway in belconnen for the exhaust and chip ive had a few done up cars that glen has done the exhaust on he is really good. tossing up on weather to get sax/monster rides kit and doing it myself, then i can get 33inch tyres under it. plus he does mcc bullbars but im still not convinced on them at the moment.

not a real serious 4wder at the moment but my suspension is shagged from towing a tool trailer everyday loaded to the hills, and the mrs is talking about taking the kids camping and going to stocktom beach in the next few months

My mate almost ended up in court with Hume off road, ended up at ACCC instead. Guess it depends how you go. All the blokes at work use Mitchell offroad, I've got a mechanic in Fyshwick I use for half my work, the other half I do myself.
ARB are expensive, Pride in Fyshwick are good but lead time is massive, and wheels n tyres I go to Fyshwick Quickfit (best prices).

thanks for the heads up

Work BBQ at D401983's place lol.Beer powered suspension work !
With respect to running 33's are you aware they wont be legal in the ACT?
265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17 is as large as you can legally go without engineers reports.
If you want to go 50mm lift and larger rubber your going to need an Engineers report to stay legal. And if you run after market wheels they will hit you for those when you get it Engineered.
Your only allowed 50mm lift in total so suspension and rubber.
Just something to keep in mind .

As for the ACCC or Office of Fair Trading you have to go on a case by case deal. I took Nissan Aus to the Fair Trading Tribunal so just because 1 deal went south you really cant detirmine what a company is like. Ritchie was more then helpful with some suspension stuff I needed done .

he would be one the most honest and trust worthy mechanics i have had the pleasure of dealing with by far

Sorry guys, honestly wasn't trying to bag him out, he's always got a shop full of cars so he must be good. I was just putting forward my opinion based on dealings a mate of mine had which I was full witness to is all.

Work BBQ at D401983's place lol.Beer powered suspension work !
With respect to running 33's are you aware they wont be legal in the ACT?
265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17 is as large as you can legally go without engineers reports.
If you want to go 50mm lift and larger rubber your going to need an Engineers report to stay legal. And if you run after market wheels they will hit you for those when you get it Engineered.
Your only allowed 50mm lift in total so suspension and rubber.
Just something to keep in mind .

i didnt realise it was 50mm overall, what a bummer! i am getting the wheels powdercoated black at the moment so they will be the stock ones, and ill go the 26575/16s. the lift might have to wait now, guess ill ring john wilson if he is still around and see how much a engineer's report is. then we might have to do the beer and supsension work lol. thanks for the info

scotty

I paid just over $800 from memory to get wheels/tyres, coilovers and new upper control arms engineered.Then another $35 at rego for yet another inspection and then you should be good to go
If you go with the 265's then you can still go another 40mm in lift without having to get it engineered.

I should probably get mine engineered soon. I just want to finish it and get it all done at once. Aussie who did your engineers cert?

How how you blokes found Monaro Offroad? Ive used them for a while with no dramas.

Canberra Motor Works did my Engineers report. He has a D40 himself with extended chassis .Ray is straight forward ,open and really easy to deal with

Ritchie at Hume has been really good to deal with.Always helpful. I had to take the springs off my struts and Ritchie helped out and wanted no money but wanted me to take the truck back when I had all my front end installed.

Last edited:
Canberra Motor Works did my Engineers report. He has a D40 himself with extended chassis .Ray is straight forward ,open and really easy to deal with

Ritchie at Hume has been really good to deal with.Always helpful. I had to take the springs off my struts and Ritchie helped out and wanted no money but wanted me to take the truck back when I had all my front end installed.

You'd be the bloke with the aftermarket control arms he's been waiting to see before we go touching mine again I'm guessing hahaha!!!
Far out that blokes busy these days!

I'll throw another option into the mix: Total Traction Services in Belconnen. The Barrett lads have been in the game for a while, used to rally and now are into off-road action. I've only used them for small jobs (I do my own work generally), but they've been flawless so far.

If you go with the 265's then you can still go another 40mm in lift without having to get it engineered.

Presumably you're referring to the 265/70/16's? I was of the impression a 265/75/16 and a 40mm lift exceeded the 50mm rule.

I have the 265/70/R17 or the 265/75/R16 ( virtually the same size ) and they are about 12mm increase in height so allowing for sage etc 40mm in lift should be fine. Thats how mine was all engineered anyway .
I actually just finished swapping out rear springs so will be interested to see how it sits after it settles

Latest posts

Back