fuel consumption with m/t's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue boy

Reaction score
do m/t's use more fuel than a/t's?? considering same size. thinking maybe the tread pattern might effect figures.

IMO... your right foot would make a bigger difference if both tyres are the same rolling diameter... sure the muddies probably develop a higher rolling resistance

Yes absolutely they do, I went from A/T to M/T on my two previous 4WD's and and lost approx 60 - 80km per tank, one had a 60ltr tank and the other an 87ltr tank. Increased rolling resistance due to the larger spacing of tread blocks, ie the edges of the blocks hitting the road and slowing the vehicle down is the main problem.
The best way to overcome this to a degree I think is to use a tall skinny, say 235 85 r16 or 7.50 r16 but there's no real way to beat it.

Yes absolutely they do, I went from A/T to M/T on my two previous 4WD's and and lost approx 60 - 80km per tank, one had a 60ltr tank and the other an 87ltr tank. Increased rolling resistance due to the larger spacing of tread blocks, ie the edges of the blocks hitting the road and slowing the vehicle down is the main problem.
The best way to overcome this to a degree I think is to use a tall skinny, say 235 85 r16 or 7.50 r16 but there's no real way to beat it.

Same for me when I changed to MTs...... Economy is improving now though as the tyres gradually wear down.

Or look at the wrangler duratrac. Same grooves cut into the lugs at at's but chunky like the mt's

I honestly cant notice a difference. I lost about 50km a tank going from stock 255/70/16 to cooper S/T 265/75/16. I have since put on a set of MTZ in the same size, and cant notice a difference at all. I have then put on a snorkel and did the EGR mod though, and have a lot more up and go, even compared to when it had the stock conticraps on it.

I noticed a loss in fuel economy when I put on 265/75/16 MTZ's but I put it down to mounting them on steel rims that weigh heaps more then the factory alloys.

If I had of mounted them on the alloys I don't think it would have been as noticeable.

Latest posts

Back