Weekend muddies

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shan_b

Reaction score
Hey guys and maybe even girls,

Here is a sitrep.

I'm Looking at buying 4x 265/75/16 Federal couragia MT's and 4 black dynamic 16x8 steelies for a total price of about $1300 (check out huntsman-123 on ebay!). These tyres will be for weekend hunting/camping trips, mainly VIC high country in winter and VIC coast in summer only because at the moment i do about 900K's a week just goin to bloody work! (moving soon).

Because they're not on full-time, on-road noise/performance is not really an issue, or road milage. What is an issue is tyre strength, price and off-road performance.

It's a 2011 D22 lifted 2inches and I was wondering what offset do I need?
am I going about this the right way? am I getting a fair price? what about 2nd hand tyres? etc...

All help always welcome

Shan

Seems like a fair price all up. I paid $1400 just for MTZ's in that size then had to also get the wheels to mount them on.

For 16x8 I went with a +20 offset and they don't stick out past the guards. I was unable to trim the mudflaps enough for it not to scrub on full lock though so I just took them off. I reckon if I had of gone 16x7's I would of been able to trim them enough not to scrub but thats just a theory of mine.

I recently got the federal mts put on a second hand set of factory d22 alloys for the same reason. Cost me just under $1500 all up. So far the Feds have been fantastic, road noise is very tolerable and been awesome in the mud. Don't know about longevity but cos I only use them when I'm out bush they should last ages.

Should I maybe put them on alloys??
what is the benefit of steelies? seems to be a fair lot of extra unsprung weight to add

I went the alloys to keep the stock look and they only cost me $220 which was comparable to steelies. Steel are easier to knock back into shape in the middle of nowhere but theoretically alloys should take more of a beating before that's needed. But when they break, they break. Six of one, half dozen of the other I reckon.

I've smashed a rock on the highway at 110 once with steelies and buckled the edge of the rim and gave me a flat. Pulled out a mini sledge hammer and smashed it back into place and the wheel was able to be reinflated to continue on the journey.

I'd be curious to know what the result would of been if I had alloys on at the time...?

Don't know if there are any other benefits to steel vs alloy i'd be curious to hear from people with more experience.

I paid $800 for 4 x 285/75/16 no rims!! U should pay no more then 100 a rim, your getting ripped mate

Didn't you get them through a mate at a tyre joint tho calcal? Standard book price for the 265/75/16 is $275 each. At that price plus $100 per rim comes to $1500 so $1300 seems ok unless you know someone who can get a deal for you.

It seems muddies will be the next mod.

4 x 265/75/16 Fed Couragias $940 ($235 ea)
4 x 16 x 8 black steelies $320 ($80 ea)

$1260 all up

Might have to go get them Friday hrmmm

Shan
Check my build thread or cape pictures thread. I have the exact combination you are looking for. 16x8 kings steels +20 offset and the feds. Great off-road tire. They do get noisey with wear but I just completed the cape York and had no flats cuts nicks anything in any of my tires. I watched bfg, mickey t, coopers get absolutely destroyed.

Cheers Rustynav, Iv'e already been through your build thread.

I think that final push settles it. was tossing up betwen muddies and a dual battery, I think the dual batt system is now on hold....

must....buy.......muddies!

Cheers guys

Quick update,

I have paid for the muddies, get em on thursday

4 x Federal COuragia MT 265/75/16
4 x black steel rims, 0 offset (guy at the shop said this would be fine)
$1260.

heading to the Vic high country chasing some deer this weekend, and there is one extremely muddy spot on the way in, didn't even attempt it last time with A/T's. Will be interesting to see the difference.

I would love to hear how they fit as i think i will be getting some federals on steel rims myself eventually, anyone know if it would be possible or not reccomended to put on the 285/75/r16s, just because im trying to get every bit more diff clearance as i can.
I believe the speedo would be out by about 7% with the 285/75 and might affect braking safety, any thoughts?

From what I understand, obviously a bigger tyre (without being crazy) will bring the speedo closer to true speed, as my nav is almost the full 10% out. However it will throw your nice accurate odometer out!

Can't comment on the braking aspect mate, all depends on friction

On stock tyres the Nav is 7km/h below the speed limit up to about 80km/h. This then increases to 10 - 12km/h once you get to 120km/h. A GPS is the only true measure of a Nav's actual speed. To prove this I drove past a fixed speed camera at 120km/h in a 110km/h zone and didn't get flashed.

Latest posts

Back