Cleaning diesel off a swag?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
On the weekend a jerry can fell over in the back of the ute and went all threw the swag. Great nights sleep smelling diesel all night! But now there are big diesel patches all over the canvas. Does anyone know what might clean it off? Ive tried soap and detergent but it did nothing. Not sure what else to try

truck wash. something like ct18 or that pink stuff and scrub it then use a pressure washer to remove the soap should do the trick.

dont use anything like that on canvas it will fuck it!!!!
lots of warm/hot water and sunlight soap then hit with a pressure cleaner gently, then re waterproof.
any detergents or petroleum based or acid based product will do damage and well and truly shorten then lift of canvas. get it off sooner rather than later

dont use anything like that on canvas it will fuck it!!!!
lots of warm/hot water and sunlight soap then hit with a pressure cleaner gently, then re waterproof.
any detergents or petroleum based or acid based product will do damage and well and truly shorten then lift of canvas. get it off sooner rather than later

Fair, how do you hi it with a pressure wash softly?
I've used prepsol on my swag. Worked a treat. Still going good after 4-5 years. Even though it Hasnt been used in almost a year.
Then again I couldn't care less about the stains. It's a swag...

I'm with the warm water and soap and water/detergent combinations, lots of washing and lots of airing in the sun. It will get rid of the smell, eventually. AFAIK, any staining is going to stay.

Ok thanks guys I might go with the warm water and soap again a few times. Than if the fails I'll try fatboys idea. I'm not worried about the stains as fatboy said its a swag its always filthy! I just was worried if the diesel might wreck the canvas.

Fair, how do you hi it with a pressure wash softly?
I've used prepsol on my swag. Worked a treat. Still going good after 4-5 years. Even though it Hasnt been used in almost a year.
Then again I couldn't care less about the stains. It's a swag...

Softly = dont hold it an inch away from the canvas lol, you are right you wont get rid of stains out of canvas. I tell customers your better off with dirty canvas instead of canvas that leaks like a siv :D

http://www.completecampsite.com.au/images/OtherPDF/CANVASCARE.pdf
thats nearly the same as the manufactures care guide from wct. The only thing we do different now is try not to use bleach anymore for mold instead we use oil of clove as its far less aggressive to the fabric, If mold is really bad we will use bleach and water

Soak it in prespsol mate.

Prepsol is good S#^T. I have used it for cleaning oil stains out of good clothes and tar off white carpet with excellent results, removes the stain and the smell and no damage but test a sample area first before you soak the lot.

The only thing we do different now is try not to use bleach anymore for mold instead we use oil of clove as its far less aggressive to the fabric, If mold is really bad we will use bleach and water

Oooh, worth trying. Where can you buy that in bulk?
We have canvas sun shades on the house that just love mould.

Oooh, worth trying. Where can you buy that in bulk?
We have canvas sun shades on the house that just love mold.

you can get it from chemist a lot of supermarkets etc. tbo oil of clove doesn't really remove the look of mold it usually still leave a slight mold stain behind but it actually kills the mold properly and stops it respawning. try oil of clove first but you will probably need something a bit stronger to get rid of the stain. Being household awnings there probably made out of acrylic canvas not your normal cotton canvas camping products are made out of, if so there are a few products you can get that will actually clean them made by sunbrella and brellalife, cant remember the name of it can have a look when im at work if your interested. I dont know if it actually works ive never personally used it

No need. I can find stuff for acryllic okay.
I was hoping there was a cheaper industrial lot of oil of cloves around rather than the little & expensive bottles you can get at the chemist. That stuff is great on a toothache, which is why we have it.

Latest posts

Back