Navara info

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan188

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm after a bit of model info for different Navaras. I currently own an R51 Pathfinder but have been considering purchasing a Navara for a second car. The trouble is, I've never really thought of buying a Navara before so I dont know a lot about the different models.

So what I'd want it to have would be:

-Dual cab (Got kids)
-4x4
-Year model somewhere from 2002 onwards (thereabouts)
-I'd probably want to spend around $15000-20000 but could do more

Cheers,

Duncan

Welcome to the forum.

The D40 is comparable to the R51 Pathfinder - in fact, up to the rear doors, they're pretty much the same vehicle and parts are interchangeable. More room in the back for kids, same(ish) power under the bonnet as you've got. D22s have less power, less space in the back seat area.

^ What he said, except the R51 is a Monoque chassis where the D40 run's a ladder chassis like the D22.

R50's were Monoque chassis's like the R51.

Considered a R50 Pathfinder ? They are a good vehicle.

Thanks. Unfortunately I've got the unleaded Pathfinder; lots of power but lots of petrol! I'm going to upgrade it to a newer diesel soon.

So what are the power differences with the D22 and D40?
What about model differences like ST-R ST-X etc?

I'm probably not after an R50 Pathfinder Dave, I'd like something with a tray. If I do get a Navara it'd be my daily driver (my wife drives the Pathfinder and I have a Skyline at the moment). I'd want something the kids could come in, occasional towing and maybe do the very rare bit of low level four wheel driving.

From what you described, I reckon you'd be better off with a D40. They ride better on the road, have more rear leg room and are better equipped. Problem is you won't find one in your price range that hasn't done a million kms.

D40 ST and ST-X are pretty similar in spec, particularly late model ones. The D22 ST-R hasn't really changed since 1999, with the exception of the change in motor from 3.0l diesel up to 2006 (when they stopped selling them temporarily) to 2.5l diesel introduced in 2008. This new motor is basically the same as in the D40, just detuned so has lower outputs.

$15k will get you a pre 2005 D22, whereas $20k will get you something up to 2008/9 with a few kms on them. You probably won't get a D40 ST for less than $30k.

I've been looking at updating my 2003 D22 ST-R with 160kms to a 2010 ish ST D40. I'd probably ask for $17k for my D22 and would hope to pick up something with less than 80 kms for around $30-$32.

Best thing I can suggest is to have a look on carsales. You can specify model, year, kms, price etc to get a pretty good idea of what your money will buy, and then the listing will have all the standard features in that particular model.

hey bud
I just purchased a 2012 d22.
I have two little ones and there's not a lot of
space in the back with two kiddie seats
but other wise my wife and I love it

Thanks guys, this is helpful stuff.

I'd be probably leaning more towards the D22 (as much as I'd like the D40 by the sounds of it).

Whats the fuel economy like with them (both 3l and 2.5)?

I actually have 4 kids (all under 8), though they only come in my car on occasions, and usually not all at once. So leg room wouldn't matter so much.

I recently took mine (which is pretty much bog standard) to the Flinders Ranges and Oodnadatta track and averaged exactly 10.0 l/100km, loaded to the gunwhales. Around town I get about 11, on a trip unloaded my best is 8.7.

Brother in law has a D40 ST-X and gets about 9, but he doesn't do any urban driving.

G'day
Buying my first car soon and I've got my eye on a 2001 Nissan Navara.
Could anyone give me a run down on them like the pros and cons and if they have a faults.
Cheers

I'd like to know that too. If I was looking at an older D22 (say 02-06), what would be some common faults to look for?

Thanks guys, this is helpful stuff.

I'd be probably leaning more towards the D22 (as much as I'd like the D40 by the sounds of it).

Whats the fuel economy like with them (both 3l and 2.5)?

I actually have 4 kids (all under 8), though they only come in my car on occasions, and usually not all at once. So leg room wouldn't matter so much.

We have a 2010 D22 2.5L diesel purchased new.

Leg room is the issue when they get older. I can sit in the back but it is a bit tricky getting in and out. Okay if the person in front is short legged.

Context; this is our first 4x4. Before that we drove Mazda vans. a 1600, then 2000, so the 2500 is a powerful enough for us. There was also the petrol to diesel engine change experience(no real engine breaking).

Which reminds me that the 4x4 mode requires manual hub locking, if that is an issue. I just lock them in when I think I might need 4x4. the manual says to do if occasionally anyway. IMO, the advantage of manual locking is that on places like boat ramps, you can select 4x4 low mode and operate 2WD to get the pulling power.

If you are a rev head, you might not like the lower power until the RPMs hit 1,750 when the turbo kicks in. Once i knew that little fact, I understoof WTf was going on.

If the kids need special seats, then you'll need the mounting/attachment points put in.

Firstly, if you are above average height and solidly built, make sure you sit in the D22 with the door shut and check that you can close the door and don't trap your leg and can do the require stuff. My little Bro thought he would be okay for a joint trip away, but short of a 3/4 amputation, no way was he going to fit.

Fuel economy, say 11l/100Km around town to 15l/100Km lead footing up the highway towing a 1.6T Camper trailer. Those are real calculated figures from a running economy sheet.

If you like love toys, then forget it. The vehicle is also a PITA when you try to run GPS, hand held radio, mobile phone recharger and other shit as there is only the passenger floor to put it.

OTOH, it is a relative simple vehicle that has 2" higher clearance than the D40, so you can crawl under it okay with out turning your head sideways.

I don't know about the D40. but the tub on the D22 will not take a "standard" pallet if that matters. also missing the tie down rails that the D40 has.

We had two reasons for buying the Nav. SWMBO said the seats were the most comfortable and the pile of information and assistance available on this forum.

Last edited:
G'day
Buying my first car soon and I've got my eye on a 2001 Nissan Navara.
Could anyone give me a run down on them like the pros and cons and if they have a faults.
Cheers

What engine ? The ZD30 in that year wasn't the best.

I'd like to know that too. If I was looking at an older D22 (say 02-06), what would be some common faults to look for?

Go for the 2006 model, interiors are different in the series 2 and 3's.

Engine wise, there were revisions and some wiring got changed.

Ok, another question for you all...

I have a mate who was able to turn his Hilux into a 6 seater by using a seat setup from a two seater Hilux (so 3 sit in the front, 3 in the rear). Is anything like this possible with a Navara?

Ok, another question for you all...

I have a mate who was able to turn his Hilux into a 6 seater by using a seat setup from a two seater Hilux (so 3 sit in the front, 3 in the rear). Is anything like this possible with a Navara?

Im sure you could get the seats out of a single cab and put them up front. Havnt seen it done but cant see it being a problem. Just have to swap out the handbrake hocky stick and seats and go for a mod plate.

Awesome. Can someone put up some picks of the seating/cab of a single and dual cab D22 for me? Am pretty keen to see if this is possible

Latest posts

Back