cooper all terrains

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
howdy guys,

been pricing tyres lately and have come across a set of cooper atrs,2nd hand but only done 10,000kms.they have been rotated every 5000kms and have done no work.the guy thats selling them is after $1000 but could be neogotiable.the tyres are the LT265x75x16 and there is five tyres in the deal.
anyone had any experience with these tyres?i also tow a boat and have read elsewhere on the forum that towing with these is harder on the engine than the 70 series,going to check out the tyres on saturday morning.
i also priced some new mickey thompsons recently in the mtz and these were sick tyres,not cheap though.appreciate any thoughts.

cheers adam

My brother bought a set (5) of BFG ATz recently 265/75/16 brand new @ $250/tyre, not a bad deal and they are a great All Terrain Tyre, the BFG Muddies where voted the best by
4WD Monthly in a recent article also but around the $325/tyre mark.

Ive heard that the Cooper ATR's are a bit slippery on the bitumen in the wet, they get good k's but that is the trade-off. My neighbour has them on his D22.

For what it's worth I have been researching AT's for quite a while now and I'm 99% decided on the Mickey Thompson 4 rib ATZ's. Can get them for $310 fitted and balanced.

My brother in law has the Mickey T Atz on his patrol.

They pretty aggressive for an AT, thought they were muds at first, slight hum but only just noticable.

Took it upto the watagans when i was back east and they were awesome! Bugger all slip on some pretty slippery rocks & they look the part too.

Attachments

• R0013629.JPG
    R0013629.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 122
Yeah I think they will be a good compromise, heard some pretty good reports on them.

checked out the tyres this morning and they were very good nick.could not help myself so the deal was done.got a std set of dx rims which are poxy white but could come in handy for setting up a trailer,i think there 16 x 5 or 6.still have to wait for him to take them off his truck.the coopers have done 8 to 10 thou so should get plenty out of them.
since i done the shocks the other day the nav has a slight nose down attitude so might have to adjust the torsion bars when i fit and wheel align.with the navs also do you guys rotate every five thou or 10 and do you do a five way rotation.i guess the right side wears quicker on both sides.appreciate any thoughts on this,cheers

i've had 3 wheel alignments from 3 different places and i still get it scrubbing out of the outside of the front left tyre. Not sure its cause every mechanic on the gold coast is shit or its just the way the nav is.

Id guess you drive a lot of roundabouts woznme.

My Cooper ATRs lasted 120k. Bit left in them too. Only had 1 wheel alignment in that whole time.

yeah... gold coast is roundabout city. maybe i just go to fast around them also :D

I do a five tyre rotation every 5000 k's.

New tyre should enter the rotation on the front left.

I went to Byron Bay today to go diving where they launch the boats from the beach using Troopcarriers and the dive shop has just changed the tyres on all their Troopies from Coopers to Micky Thompson ATZ 4 rib tyres.

They had some trouble pulling the boat out of the surf today and were spinning 4 wheels in the wet sand trying to get traction. They obviously need good traction and the guy said the previous Coopers had more grip in the sand when pulling heavy boats in soft sand.

These cars spend their whole life driving a couple of km between the dive shop and the the beach where they launch and retrieve the boats from the surf, and they never go any faster than maybe 40km/h so it is hardly real world driving.

that sounds promising to me because i have a 18 ft glassboat that i intend to beach launch

Is that possible? I have a 560 quintrex aluminium and didn't even think i'd manage that.

Back to topic, I got a set of 5 Mickey Thompson MTZ's 265/75 16, bit noisey & shithouse in the wet but I love em, totally changes the look of the car.
Scored the set of 5 for $1000 brand new on ebay

justdrinkbeer: My MTZ's are great in the wet. I got to test them out today as its raining as was honestly surprised how well they grip.

A grand was alright mate. You done well there.

Maybe they'll bed in, only got a few hundred km's on them.
Just find they lock up under anything other than the most sedate braking, had a couple of instances where i've been more than greatful for the ABS.

Is that possible? I have a 560 quintrex aluminium and didn't even think i'd manage that.

Back to topic, I got a set of 5 Mickey Thompson MTZ's 265/75 16, bit noisey & shithouse in the wet but I love em, totally changes the look of the car.
Scored the set of 5 for $1000 brand new on ebay

howdy justdrinkbeer,

beach launching can be done mate with boats up to 6.5m but you need good conditions and switched on crew.sometimes depends on the layout of the beach and swells.rule of thumb is to be organised and have a guy that can back a trailer and usually skipper already in the boat.
drive on trailer helps aswell.having a capable 4x4 like a navara with some good rubber is also a requirement.:big_smile: cheers

ok guys time to add my 2cents worth. i have cooper atr 245 on my nave for last 12 months yes they get great kms mine have barley worn,i go up the beach all the time an they are great in the sand,but pretty slippery on the road(especially on the roundabouts lol) overall great tyre, but i now have upgraded to mickeythompson 285/75/16 mtz great tyre dear yes but good tyre even on the sand. so if any ones interested i have 4 cooper atr's on black roh rims for sale tyres bout 75-80% pm me if interested

Latest posts

Back