tyres , legal in the eyes of the cops

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40STX06

Reaction score
when the tyre plackard states tyre size as 255x70x16 are you allowed to put 265x75x16 on and not run into any problems with the cops . just curious

if you tell us what state you are from we might be able to help. until then no-one will know what to tell you.

I run 265 75 16 and have never had any trouble.
You would have to be a complete twat for them to pick you on that.

i run 265 75 16 on steel rims, the offset is a bit off so the stick out.
with my chunky side walls they look alot further out then they are.

265/75R16 tyres are 40.5mm taller than standard. I think you are allowed 20mm in NSW, and 50mm of combined suspension & body lift - and that's it.

That said, if you aren't drawing attention to yourself, you can drive along without too much concern - unless they do a blitz on modded 4WDs like they did in Qld last week, but even then they'd have to be totally anal to ping you for just a set of tyres that are a little larger.

Tony, i thought it was 50mm with tyres... Its 20mm in QLD, as legally you can only increase to 265/70/16 but in NSW 265/75 are ok.

according to jax quickfit yesterday there's a new standard that is trying to get passed in the government that will increase the height your allowed to go. not sure exactly how high. its been 3 years so far so hopefully one day.

i live in South Australia mate . Just wondering as i have the standard 255x70x16 on the standard wheels and also have 265x75x16 on steel rims in the BFG muddies and looking at a 2 inch lift in the next few weeks.

I just checked the VSI50 draft proposal (which got knocked out, but will be waiting in the wings) and it's a 75mm in total lift (50mm of suspension and 25mm tyre radius = 50mm diameter). VSI50 requires a certification for any 4WD vehicle exceeding this, and for any vehicle with ANY body lift (even 1mm).

VSI50 is NOT enshrined. It is NOT legislation, but it is what they're thinking of doing to us.

according to jax quickfit yesterday there's a new standard that is trying to get passed in the government that will increase the height your allowed to go. not sure exactly how high. its been 3 years so far so hopefully one day.

Been saying it for years so don't hold your breath.

Yes I've been hearing the same for a few years, simple swap over your tyre placard with one that is more favorable ;-)

Anything is legal if u go about it the right way. I run 285/75/16's and there legal for my car, I also have 2" suspension lift and a 30mm body lift and it's all completely legal. You just have to get it certified.

Here is a reply from Queensland Roads I received in Febuary this year. My tyres are 50mm over size and legal in Victoria. Was planning a trip to Queensland and curious if my Nav would be legal.

Thank you for your email enquiry to the Department of Transport and Main Roads (the department) regarding driving your modified vehicle in Queensland.

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 requires that light vehicle modifications comply with the Queensland Code of Practice—Light Vehicle (CoP).

In regard to tyres, the regulation states; the overall diameter of the tyre must not vary by more than +15mm or -26mm than that stated on the vehicle manufacturers tyre placard.

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010 Part 2 Vehicle standards states:

Defective vehicles

When a vehicle is defective

(1) A vehicle is defective if—
(a) a part of the vehicle—
(i) does not comply with the requirements specified in the vehicle standards; or
(ii) does not perform its intended function; or
(iii) has deteriorated to an extent that it can not be reasonably relied on to perform its intended
function; or
(b) equipment mentioned in, or required by, the vehicle standards, other than optional equipment, fitted to the vehicle—
(i) does not comply with the requirements specified in the vehicle standards; or
(iii) has deteriorated to an extent that it can not be reasonably relied on to perform its intended function; or
(c) optional equipment fitted to the vehicle—
(i) does not comply with the requirements specified in the vehicle standards for the optional equipment;
or
(iii) prevents, or is likely to prevent, the vehicle, its parts or equipment—

(A) from complying with the requirements in the vehicle standards; or
(B) from performing its intended function; or
(iv) has deteriorated to an extent that it can not be reasonably relied on to perform its intended function; or

(f) the vehicle does not comply with the Code of Practice—Vehicle Inspection Guidelines (the vehicle inspection code of practice).
note—
This code of practice is available online at
<www.tmr.qld.gov.au> or through SDS Publications.

The Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Vehicle Standards and Safety) Regulation 2010, Part 2, Vehicle standards apply to all vehicles not just Queensland registered.

You may also wish contact the Queensland Police Service on 07 33646464 in regard to their policy in enforcing vehicle compliance.

Should you have further enquiries please contact Vehicle Standards & Modification Advice on:- 31145844, Monday to Friday, 8.30 am to 4.30 pm (Wednesday, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm).

Back