Oil in Air Cleaner Petrol Z24

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomo07

Reaction score
heading says it all, just bought and dropped the motor in, hoping it's not serious but sounds like engine rings.

Any suggestions, or what else could it be? has anyone replaced worn rings? if so easy job?

Regards Tomo07

Seems most likely cause. There will be a hose from the top of the rocker cover, PCV pipe, and it will be escaping from their into the air cleaner.

Can you get your hands on an engine compression meter? It's a good indication of the helath of the engine. 140-150 psi I think is about what you might expect if its good? Perhaps 130 if its a bit marginal?

Maybe give us more than an hour for a reply too :) There's not too many of us old timers on the D21 forum

^ What he said, borrow the cash and rebuild your old donk.

Good Z24's would be hard to come by now.

Hey guys I think tomo07 said yesterday in a post that he only just put a new motor in it because the old 1 blew up. I don't no anything just thought id add this might help. But surely he will give more info

Yeah Hosery bought a motor off ebay cost 2000 all up, had a top end rebuilt 20 thou ago.

Drove it back from Melbourne, (about 300klms from where I live ) and it didn't miss a beat. Such a shame to get it in and see this. I'm hoping it will be something else but just don't know what it could be. otherwise I will have to do a complete rebuild which means more money, and I don't feel confident to do it myself.

Motor runs and I am driving it no problems, just this oil buildup in air cleaner., has me concerned.

Ahh well at least it will be a good motor when it's finished..

Last edited:
Compression test before you go any further. You'll get a compression gauge form supercheap for about $20 (I think). A good investment at this stage.

How much oil? There should be a small square filter of some sort, flat, a bit like a bit of steel wool perhaps, where the PCV hose connects to the air filter, meant to pick up just this sort of crud. A small amount is normal.

If its driving well, don't get too excited, it might be fine.

Let us know how you go with the compression test.

Thanks Pinelli, yeah waiting for compression test. had a look, no filter as such.
Also it is only a small amount around town.

When I drove back from melb to home about 300 klms. It had about a eggcup full. It seems alot. But as you said, I will wait fot that test. Thanks for the help will let you know how I get on.

Tomo07.

well done a compression test via the spark plugs,
results from front of motor cylinder working back

165, 160, 155, 160 all psi.

Can anyone tell me what that means? is that good?

Sounds pretty good to me. I think mine were sitting at about 130-140 psi before it gave up the ghost.
The fact they are all pretty close also means that they cylinders are pretty even as far as compression is concerned.

I reckon that with those figures, and if its driving well, then you may be right. Don't forget that the camshaft and lifters are all bathed in oil, and its probably quite normal for a little to migrate up the PCV hose to the air cleaner. It might be worth while seeing if you can put in a small gauze filter where the hose connects to the air box just to keep the filter dry. The PCV hose is really only there for environmental reasons, I think.

From wikipedia
Usually, clean air from the air cleaner flows into this tube and into the engine after passing through a screen, baffle, or other simple system to arrest a flame front, to prevent a potentially explosive atmosphere within the engine crank case from being ignited from a back-fire in to the intake manifold. The baffle, filter, or screen also traps oil mist, and keeps it inside the engine.

From me:
The words 'ignited' and 'back-fire' worry me!

But by and large, sounds like the engines all good. Enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back