clutch problems

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i just bough a 06 navara D40 it has 52 000klms on the clock. i had it for 5 days and the clutch has gone in it has anyone else had this drama. is it common in these trucks

My D40s on its 4th and its only done 56000, the first was with the previous owner at 30000 then i had one done at 49000 wasnt told that i should have had the dual mass fly wheel done at the same time then 2000 miles later the fly wheel went which caused the new clutch to be cooked! So now a new dual mass fly wheel and another clutch done see how long they last! So far so good!

i just bough a 06 navara D40 it has 52 000klms on the clock. i had it for 5 days and the clutch has gone in it has anyone else had this drama. is it common in these trucks

Yes the clutches are hand grenades, the 06 model seems to to be the worse, Best fix would be a solid flywheel and heavy duty clutch combo, around $1800. Too bad it happened in the first week of owning.

Agreed...unfortunately the early build D40's seemed to have a problem with clutches...

Had my duel mass fly wheel and clutch replaced at around 40000 about a year with a soild plate and heavy duty clutch no ploblems so far...
it was on my 08 D40 but i still love it best looking 4wd out there.

Last edited:
06 2 factory 1s replaced 1 under warranty
aftermarket heavy duty in - when i did it back in 06 there was no solid state flywheel available - so far so good
no issues in 80 000k since

i tow heavy boat of ramps and beaches

Last edited:
A friend of mine is on his third clutch in a 2010 model with under 20000km on the clock. Nissan have put a solid flywheel in under warranty this time.
My '07 Nav had the clutch replaced at 80000 (not warranted) so I put a HD Solid in it.

The clutch issue has been and still is the achilles heal of the D40.

The clutch issue has been and still is the achilles heal of the D40.

...and I believe for every other modern diesel ute...dual cab or otherwise. I know of clutches in the 'lux, Ranger, Colorado and BT50 suffering early demise and some on a number of occasions. Not surprisingly the OEMs are also playing hard ball with the warranty as well.

iv got an 06 d40 170,000ks (2nd owner)..how can u tell if u have a solid clutch or original?

iv noticed when i rev it around 3500-4000 theirs some sort of clutch assist if i try and release the clutch to quickly

Not sure but I have similar car 07 175000k's clutch completely gone after driving on beach, owned for 2 weeks from dealer. So peed off not a happy nissan owner, will not be buying nissan again should have googled nissan problems before I bought seems to be a lot of clutch problems out there. People out penrith way trying to get enough complaints together for 'today tonight' program , maybe force Nissan into making broad range recall and putting solid clutches in FREE

Not sure but I have similar car 07 175000k's clutch completely gone after driving on beach, owned for 2 weeks from dealer. So peed off not a happy nissan owner, will not be buying nissan again should have googled nissan problems before I bought seems to be a lot of clutch problems out there. People out penrith way trying to get enough complaints together for 'today tonight' program , maybe force Nissan into making broad range recall and putting solid clutches in FREE

This is NOT just a Nissan problem but relates to almost all manual utes on the market.....yep even the well marketed new hilux has the problem. Seems that the clutches are too small and/or under-engineered for the high torques put out by these modern engines. Some also say that it is directly related to dual mass flywheels but I have my doubts about this....having been a proud owner of the 2.8 GU patrol. Also there is the driver input and I'm guessing that whoever owned your vehicle previously knew that this problem was there already and off-loaded accordingly. Doesn't help your situation though. I'd also fit an aftermarket solution such as an Exeddy or Terrain Tamer HD clutch.

iv got an 06 d40 170,000ks (2nd owner)..how can u tell if u have a solid clutch or original?

iv noticed when i rev it around 3500-4000 theirs some sort of clutch assist if i try and release the clutch to quickly

I changed the dual mass set up in my GU patrol to an Exeddy solid mass arrangement. The only difference I noticed was a slight increase in NVH level ...mainly the V (vibration) bit.

My 07 has been replaced under warranty and its gone again and no more warranty. I have been looking into this, because it’s either spend the money and fix the problem for good or get rid of the vehicle. From what I can gather the problem is the dual mass flywheel, there purpose in life is to reduce drive train noise and shudder, problem is they can’t handle heavy work, pretty stupid choice of part for a vehicle with a 3 ton towing capacity. It’s not just a Nissan thing, there’s reports of BT50’s doing clutches in under 10 000km, Nissan has just been using Dual mass flywheels for longer than the rest. The evidence so far is suggesting that converting my D40 to a single mass flywheel will solve the problem. Depending on your choice of mechanic and clutch kit the job will cost between $2000- $3000. The only things I didn’t like about my Navara was the ride height, and the lift kit I had installed fixed that, under body protection, bash plates fixed that, the turbo lag in low gears, a chip will sort that when I save some more cash and lastly the clutch. So I think if it will solve the problem it will be money well spent on a vehicle I love. I can’t think of another 4x4 I would sooner own and as I said earlier if you think switching manufactures will give you trouble free motoring you would be dead wrong. My 2c worth.

Back