Handheld cb's

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

10navst

Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't find a definitive answer. I don't want to buy a unit that mounts in-car as i'll only use it when offload communicating with the convoy. What should I look for in a cheap handheld cb? What features, number of channels, dual band???

Really have no idea... What do you guys use?
Cheers.

I used a cheap ebay special for ages before I put one in the car and still use it .You can get a 5 watt with 240v and 12v charger for about $69 I can't fault them

Mate don't buy anything less than 5 Watt.
All brands make them Uinden GME etc.
Try Ebay.
The new 80 channel are what you buy if you want new, but a few old 40 ch are coming up second hand and are worth having a look at.
Cheers
Pauly B

If your only going to using for 4wding get yourself a cheap 40-80 channel one your choice. You will be wasting your time with Dual band.
From 40 up the channels are spaced 6.25 khz.

I bought a Uniden 2watt 80ch 2 pack with charger for $100 delivered off Ebay and its surprising how far they will still keep reception. My wife uses one when she is driving our old hilux and i use the in car one and she will still pick up the convoy for almost as long as anyone else.
We did try a mates cheap 1watt no name ones but they were pretty crappy and lost reception as soon as you lost sight of each other.

I've got a pair of 80ch 2 watt Oricom hand helds. Can't fault them yet- great clarity and range. One took a decent mud bath a few months ago and still works fine.

I bought a Uniden 5 watt hand held from Dick Smith in Broken Hill in July. The 2 watt job was $149 but the 5 watt didn't have a price. I asked the Johnny No Stars behind the counter and she had no idea but looked it up and said she thought it was $199. I said I'll think about it, went back ten minutes later and said I'll take it. She then said it's $299 - but I made her stick to the original price. She then charged me $198!!

It's a pretty good unit - used it through the Flinders Rangesin a convoy, and also along the Oodnadatta and through the Riverina. Will get a workout on the weay to Deni this weekend.

The difference between a 5 watt unit and a 2 watt unit can be noticed but it's not light and day so sure if you can afford a quality 5 watt unit then go for one but if not then a brand name 2 watt hand hand will do the job.

The difference between a 5 watt unit and a 2 watt unit can be noticed but it's not light and day so sure if you can afford a quality 5 watt unit then go for one but if not then a brand name 2 watt hand hand will do the job.

I fully agree, the 2watt uninden i bought work almost as good as all of our in car 5watt units.

Latest posts

Back