Another Toy. Digital SLR.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a Canon 1000D and Tamron 17-50 is my main lense.

Love playing around with photography, my second hobby after fourbying.

Not sure what to spend, booked in this week to get some Champix to get off the Ciggies.

So I am thinking of starting a new addiction.

I have been thinking for a while about what camera to get.

Canon Australia - EOS 50D Body

Looking at the one above, as when I always buy something I buy good and to last.

Other brands I dont know whats good though.

Dave.

my old man's is a sony, i dont know the code but it's wicked ah, take's wicked photo's and it's also good fun playing with the night vision stuff.

The 50D is a good body and will last you a long time if you look after it, best advice I can give is to invest in good quality glass. A good lense makes all the difference, don't buy a package with a couple of lenses, just get a body and seperate lens. Canon/Sigma/Tamron are all good, but research and get a good all round lens then maybe get a good prime lens later on.

Cheers Jase, I was thinking of getting a pack but a waste of time you think. Cool good to know so I dont waste money.

Any suggestions on sites that have lens info ?

Dave.

I got a body + telephoto lens in a package... was cheap, but I hate the telephoto lens as it has a weird depth of field that makes photos look universally bad.

It's a Nikon D50. Can't fault the camera, though I'm just assuming it's the lens that causes the weird DOF.

If you are looking at a canon body it may just be worthwhile pairing it up with a good quality Canon lense, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a good start out / walkaround lense, nice and fast (the 2.8). You will probably have a better chance negotiating a good deal buying both from the same place.

Canon Australia - EF Standard Zoom Lenses

The Canon website has lot's of good info, I've bought from here successfully as well, good prices. https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/ Based on the Gold Coast.

You will hear the Canon vs Nikon debate if you look around the web, it's like Ford vs Holden, Toyota vs Nissan etc etc. At the end of the day they are both good manufacturers.

Here's a great site for lense reviews: All Tests / Reviews You are after the APS-C tests.

Have now a Nikon D80 SLR body
and from the early 90's when i had more time for the hobby and can use my lenses with the D80,
this 35mm kit.
Nikkor AF 50mm 1.4,
Tamron AF 35-90,
Tamron AF 90-300,
Nikkor AF 2x convertor,
Nikon F801s SLR body with MF 21 control back,
Nikon F401s SLR body,
2 Nikon SB25 Speedlights
and a heap of other bits and pieces.

I still like using the 35mm format as this was my entry into the hobby, but i must say digital is magnificent.

Sony A350 (14.2 mpixels) with a 35-70 and 75-300 and a 16gb card. Took it to Europe in May and snapped my brains out. Stick the card in the notebook every couple of days and store them all in there. MAGIC :)

hey dave. Ive got a Canon 450D, and wouldnt go any other brand except maybe Nikon. But I think canon is a lot better value for money. Ive just got back from africa and it was sweet! i got some really good shots! Dont buy a pack, get the body and buy the lenses seperate. Try to stick with Canon lenses, and try to get IS image stabiliser lenses. canon wont warrant the body if it has had aftermarket accessories used with it, plus it will work alot better. the 450D has automatic sensor cleaner which is awesome saves alot of mucking around. when looking at lenses try to get something like a 18-70 to give you a wider range, i got a 18-55 and its a pain in the arse.

try this website, they are good, i got my camera and also my speedlite from there. and you can get extended warranty.: YouShop 247 :: Buy Cheap Digital Cameras, Mobile Phones, Camcorders and Watches

harb gave me the best advice for picking which one,get them to line up your choices and go on feel in the hand,i had my mind set on one brand but it felt like crap to hold.sony has image stabalizer in camera not lense,you can pick up top quality lenses of older makes on evil bay at good prices.

I got me a Canon 500D for $1450, I love after christmas sales.

Camera is !@#$%^& awesome, still gotta read the book but very very happy with it.

I bought a Panasonic Blueray player aswell as my Samsung DVD recorder was more tempramental then a women, thats saying something.

On another note, I did notice that Sharp and Panasonic pretty much use the same boxes these days and the tv's and dvd players etc are very similar in style. I bought Panasonic because its one brand that has never let me down.

Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got the 2 lenses that came with the camera.

Will look at different lenses down the track.

Still trying to figure out how to use it fully.

Dave.

I got a digital slr a bit over a year ago now and absolutely love it, i often go to car racing events and the slr is awesome at taking heaps of pics, no more waiting for 10sec then the camera decides to take a photo crap.
I still have to read through the instruction book too, its as big as a novel.

Where did you get that from Dave? I'm looking for one as I need to start taking some pics of jobs for my website and I recon if I do them myself it ill go a long way to paying off the camera.
My little compact Olympus mu 720 aint close to pro pics, good ones underwater though.

Rich

Latest posts

Back