SAS on D21

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MWH78

Reaction score
Anyone on here done the solid axle swap on a d21? I am pretty sure I have read about one done on a Pathfinder somewhere is Australia and have seen a few done in the States. I read somewhere about using early Patrol front diff and leaf springs, however from what I have seen the diff centre is on the wrong side (same as Hilux which i also considered). Have heard Jeep wagon diffs can suit however they are not exactly plentiful around here. Any ideas would be great as I am considering doing this to my 90 2.7 diesel rather than selling it and buying another Lux. Also how do I find out what the standard rear diff ratio would be, as this would help with locating a possible transplant?

Calmini in the states do a SAS kit that have all the components barr the axle, wich I think needs to be a Dana44 from a jeep wagoneer, if you get the kit you could source the axle in the states and get them sent over at the same time I suppose.

The parts look pretty good and would make it super easy if a suitable front axle could be found. Anyone bought stuff from them before and had it send over here?

Last edited:
Or better still does anyone bring these parts into Australia and sell them from here?

Snake racing get in calmini but they bump the price up shiploads, better off going trough the states while our dollar is so good.

best buying it direct from calmini. Solid D22 found a jeep wagoneer diff for his d22, ask him where he got it.
Or you could get the patrol diff flipped.

I found my jeep wagoneer diff on a jeep forum, i posted a wanted add and got 1 reply within 2 days and bonus was it wasnt too far out of melbourne to get it.
Be careful but as im having trouble finding a rear diff to suit, cos nissan ratios do not match up to what you need so rear diff has to be changed too.
Im leaning towards a dana44 wrangler diff, i know its 5 stud but iv just got another contact to call who might be able to convert it to a 6 stud, honestly i dont see why you wouldnt be able to use current model jeep diffs (well 5-10 years old now) bothfront and rear, my brothers friend has this type of jeep and both front and rear diffs are dana44 and bonus is the rear would be disc brake.

your front diff wasnt 5 stud?, mate that used jeep front diff for his pajero has 5 stud front.

No its 6 stud thats why calmini recommend that diff, its a rare diff in the sence that a 6 stud jeep diff was a once of thing. I tried chasing up the rear diff from tha same model car but problem is the diff housing is off centre so its no good in the back of the navara.

you can still use it if its off centre. Unless the fuel tank is in the way?

I was thinking that too, if worse came to worse but its off centre to the left and my gas tank might be in the way. Il see how i go first with the wrangler diff.

Honestly i cant remember, its 3.? im not sure.

You can get a 4.1 in the dana and the nissan diff but thats already going backwards from the 4.3 that i have now and considering i want bigger rubber when these tyres wear out, if i had the lower gearing it would be a pig taking off or even trying to go uphills, low range would not even exist unless i put in reduction gears, which i will eventually do one day.

i woulda thought with the popularity of the jeep diffs in the states there would be heaps of ratios for em.

dont know much about 4x4 diffs, i,ve seen heaps of diffs cut an shut in lot of motorsport

Latest posts

Back