This is fkn BRILLIANT!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah i like the idea it looks cool.
but agree with lil menace how does it go on axel and the wheel studs?
and 2 tonne breaking strain on the rope is not much ah. what if you can only get one on?

ah dont forget ull need lockers for that too work. and id hate to be stuck in a bog and thats ur only way out... conventional electric winch for me.

yeah i like the idea it looks cool.
but agree with lil menace how does it go on axel and the wheel studs?
and 2 tonne breaking strain on the rope is not much ah. what if you can only get one on?

I'm going to guess that if you're using this while your vehicle is jammed tight into mud, there'll be a heck of a lot of shear stress on the axles around the wheel bearings, and the suspension points will all strain heaps as well.

The vehicle's designed for the wheels to push the vehicle along. I doubt that included moving tonnes of clay/sand/whatever you're buried in.

But - how often are you stuck up to the doors in muck? Also, if the wheels are turning slowly and moving in a direction (by drawing themselves along the rope), wouldn't the vehicle tend to rise up a little? That would ease the tension.

I watched the videos - they were amazing. The rope used on that Land Cruiser (what is that, 3 tonnes on its own?) was the 4mm, 2-tonne rope. It worked with ease, pulling the thing up a very steep climb.

I'd be concerned about wheel nut shear - I'd really want some spares, and maybe a spare hub as well in case I broke a stud or 5.

I think at a third of the price of the Nissan winch for the maxed kit, it looks a whole lot better.

And really, this is the drive system of the vehicle (designed to push the vehicle) that is doing the work, not something bolted on to the front of the vehicle. That might be better suited to the task?

Be nice to get an automotive engineer's take on it.

No good in deep ruts, as you would never be able to fit them Over priced for what you get. I would prefer a tirfor, but a winch trumps both.

I just don't think I'd trust it. Cool concept though.

I used to go to a rodeo when I was a kid and they had dog races there. They used to tie a rabbit carcass to the same setup, jack up the rear and let her rip! LOL, funny shit.

any electric winch would be. situations to use this contraption are far too limited, plus its pretty big. Electric bullbar mounted winchs have saved the day more times then i can count.

2 tonne break strain is per rope and as you're using double ropes you're doubling the load rating to 4t and at the same time halving the stress on the rope by using 2 points on the vehicle. 2 tonne is decent enough for most.

they've stated in all their testing that the car is able to handle the load and they've never had a failure of hubs, nuts, studs, etc especially not axles. quote "The forces otherwise imposed on the vehicles transmission, wheel nuts, steering etc are well within the tolerances engineered into and experienced by your vehicle in normal use. We recommend using the back axle to winch for several reasons one of which is to further minimize any chance of damaging the vehicles steering system."

also you dont really need a locker for this. the car wheels are going to be on the ground so as long as you have a rear LSD which majority of the cars have then its fine and if they're crap LSD's just apply the brakes a bit so it grabs and locks.

in all the videos it works without a hitch.

also winches can be stolen, who was it that i read about having the whole bullbar including winch and spotties stolen? least with this its totally removable

imho its each to their own. for those that dont have a winch bar that means buying a whole new bar and a winch.

if it was a bad designed i'm sure they wouldnt of put this out then because if this was snapping hubs and axles then they'd be getting a shit load of blame.

the idea is there...but i dont think its practical. buying a bullbar has more uses then just housing a winch so including that isnt really fair. Ive never heard of a winch being stolen?, and atleast with it in the bullbar you dont have to worry about it taking up space. but each to there own i spose?

plus what happens if you broke an axle or crown wheel/pinion or tailshaft and thats why ur stuck in the first place

the idea is there...but i dont think its practical. buying a bullbar has more uses then just housing a winch so including that isnt really fair. Ive never heard of a winch being stolen?, and atleast with it in the bullbar you dont have to worry about it taking up space. but each to there own i spose?

Never heard of one being stolen. HAVE heard of buggers putting winches in carparks in neutral, running them over the roof to the towbar, then putting them back in gear and shorting out the controls, destroying the vehicle. As much as it would make me cry to see that, I kind of want to know exactly how it would fold up.

Not a big fan of this product, what if you're underwater, in ruts, or otherwise unable to use them exactly as intended? Which would be 98% of the times you're bogged. Can't use them to pull other vehicles out. Might be a handy thing to carry around if they're cheap?

plus what happens if you broke an axle or crown wheel/pinion or tailshaft and thats why ur stuck in the first place

i was told that winches are designed to pull vehicles out of whatever, but you have to also be driving the car to help take strain off the winch. i havent seen anyone chuck the car into neutral and let the winch do the work? and i read on one of the winch websites that you're only supposed to use it for up to a few minutes (say 4 minutes) then have to let it cool down for 20min?

if you break the rear end then you can just chuck it on the front end. if you've broken both ends you're pretty much just totally stuffed if you're doing a trek alone.

this is basically for people who go on trips alone like touring who want something instead of a winch i guess.

in all its a fairly good concept especially since theres no moving parts to break like on a hand winch or an electric winch, but guess if you're going with groups and such might aswell keep to an electric winch

if you're underwater either way you will have to get out and put them on the wheels which is easy enough and if the winch is underwater because you're that deep then you get under the water to pull the winch line out

and i have never heard of people doing what you said to cars in carparks and totally wrecking a car. thats just some f'ed up stuff right there. that'd really really really suck.

I Its a good idea if your trapped in sand or somthing I think.

The whole, get out the car, run 2 not 1 but 2 ropes to a tie down point.
Plus, do you leave them on the whole day while your driving, or do you take them off and out them on, because if they stay on, they will deff break off or buckle while driving. Makes your overall wheel base is larger so the wheels wont fit in the ruts.

I think they would be painfull to put on and off all day.

Stuart

they come on and off in a few seconds.

you align them with the main hole of the slot and just turn to lock it in place

theres 3 videos on the main page where it has 'goes anywhere, all elements, in action, etc'

bugger running it off your rear wheels (unless going in reverse) as it will wreck your side panels. edit: i see theres rope guides to fit on the front.
on the front you would have to be careful with vehicles with weakish front diffs (ie r180 D22's)

however crazy as it looks it might actually be ok especially for soft roaders. eg got onto a slippery patch with your AT's. you should get enough pull on it to get you off.

Last edited:
Back