West Coast

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albatross

Reaction score
Did a west coast trip last weekend, did Climies, was a bit rough in the nav trying to keep up with the lifted and locked Patrols but got through it no worries! (well, a bent drag link but getting that sorted).
Was going to do the Balfour but was too deep for the nav after been raining so hard for a while now! Will try it in summer!
Mt. Darwin track was supposed to be closed due to conservation, but when we found it open we figured we would have a look, but the track including the steps have been graded to allow access for mining test drillers up............................. So not only have they lied about the conservation thing they are floggin it off to miners!!!
Anyway, still a hell fun trip and a great place to 4x4! Will be going back in the summer to explore again as there is sooo much to see and do!

Anyone else got some good spots for west coast tas?

G'day just wondering if you did climies from south to north or the other way? Also how did you go with the granite creek crossing?
I hadn't heard anything about the Darwin plateu track being closed, so they have removed the rock steps?

Did climies south to north, Granet creek crossing was interesting, had a bit of flow on but not too bad, got around the corner taking the inside line as I have sliders and didnt want to get close to the edge, as its a bit of a drop if if stuffed up and my breaks were not performing as I would like them too! Picked a ok line across the creek and with a little bit of guidence got up and out with only one small bang on my bash plates under the front end. Was a bif of fun, Il put some pics up soon when I get them from the camera.

Im pretty sure we were on the Darwin track, there was some guy setting up water pipe for some sort of machenery up there and told us that the track should not be accessible anymore and we shouldent be up there, But Ill check the GPS to make sure that we had the right track as I was not the naverguesser at that time, so I will confirm this. We went through a section that matched up with all the pics and Vids I have seen of the steps, and the side of the track showed that there was some steps there but its been well and truly dug out :-( to allow easy access to the top.

The damage bill is adding up tho, Iv managed to bend a drag link, destroy my read drum breaks and gave the bull bar a bit of a hit when finishing climies after sunset and not seeing a bit of a hole in the road... opps. No real damage done by that tho, bar did its job!

I think I will wait untill november/december to return and do the Balfour tho, it was just too wet for the Nav and didnt want to risk it with a truck that had a hard few days before hand.

Mt. Darwin track was supposed to be closed due to conservation, but when we found it open we figured we would have a look, but the track including the steps have been graded to allow access for mining test drillers up............................. So not only have they lied about the conservation thing they are floggin it off to miners!!!

Nothing is safe from mining exploration - all private and public lands have an underlying clause allowing miners on to search for, and exploit mineral deposits. I'm not sure of the tenure of the land in question, but you can be sure the land managers had little say in the decision. Besides, its Tassie - where it is illegal (almost) to talk badly of mineral exploration and the miners have a direct line to Lara's office (same one that Hydro had back in the '80's).

sounds interesting, might have to get up there for a look sometime soon, i try to get up there as often as possible with the bikes or 4x4. have not driven climies in years but good to know you got through ok.
would love to see the photos when you get a chance to put them up.

Nothing is safe from mining exploration - all private and public lands have an underlying clause allowing miners on to search for, and exploit mineral deposits. I'm not sure of the tenure of the land in question, but you can be sure the land managers had little say in the decision. Besides, its Tassie - where it is illegal (almost) to talk badly of mineral exploration and the miners have a direct line to Lara's office (same one that Hydro had back in the '80's).

Hahahahaha yea true!!! If its not forestry its been mined!

Hear are some pics! Il get some more up as I re-size them! The actual crossing of Granite Creek is on vid so Il put it on youtube and post the link hear.

Attachments

• 292913_10151248082429365_1813793931_n.jpg
    292913_10151248082429365_1813793931_n.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 198682_10151248082529365_154746596_n.jpg
    198682_10151248082529365_154746596_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 530152_10151248078884365_1021462659_n.jpg
    530152_10151248078884365_1021462659_n.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 527621_10151248075209365_2067152686_n.jpg
    527621_10151248075209365_2067152686_n.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 95
Few more of the crossing...

Attachments

• Granit Creek Corssing.jpg
    Granit Creek Corssing.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Granite Creek Corner.jpg
    Granite Creek Corner.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Granite Creek Drop.jpg
    Granite Creek Drop.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Granite Creek Exit.jpg
    Granite Creek Exit.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 94
hey mate. im from launy. have u done the bridport to bellingham trip? thats pritty good
good sand dunes and stuff

G'day mate, Im in launnie too!
Yea done the Bellinghan Bridport trip a few times now! It is good fun! Want to get back there now I have some power upgrades on the truck! Mite be on the cards for a few weeks time!

haha ye ive been there ones only got to the first river tho on the bridport side coz it was still to high and late in the day. haha ye driving in sand its definetly hard on the big girl. bit more power would be nice

Latest posts

Back