I think I broke My D22 and broke it bad

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STRbutts

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am feeling quite the goose at the moment. have had the most stressful weekend on record. Up until about 5:30pm Sunday we were having a great time driving a Canunda NP track to Carpenters Rocks. Fantastic place all was good.

The track proper had quite a lot of puddles some of which my Father in law in his old GQ tray back and I in the Nav went thru. One came up and it looked nothing out of the ordinary, there were some reasonably fresh wheel tracks heading into it. It was a split second decision to go through or divert.

I made the wrong choice and went through. End result was what I think to be a engine full of water ( it still turns but only just) and a water logged interior. It was a 7 hour slog through the middle of the night to get about 6 kays out to the bitumen and another 60kay back to the caravan park. Both front tyres came off the bead at separate times and needed changing.

My mate back in ADL launched a rescue mission with a hired fourby and a car trailer to drive up and bring me home. Just waiting for the insurance assessors to come and pick my poor truck up.

Now if I have to fix this myself, what's the best way of assessing the damage and amount of water in the engine? I have checked the oil and it seems fine. initially the airfilter housing seemed dry but when we tried starting it it coughed some water back up. can u take the injectors out and crank the motor to disperse everything?

The only positive to come out of this is my faith in the 4wd fraternity. two lots of blokes stopped and helped me and my father in law for hours to get my rig outta there.

I'm forever grateful to whoever they are and to my Father in law that stuck it out skull dragging my busted ute. I helped a guy recover his fourby the day before this and he was really happy and shook my hand and couldn't thank me enough.

That situation was absolutely nothing compared to what was in store for me the next day, so I guess the moral of the story is what goes around comes around.

I think this might be the end of my Navara relationship but certainly not 4wding. what a community. that includes the helpful folk on this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently went through a puddle a tad quick and ended up with water through the air and the other side of the turbo. Mine started but ran ruff as. The guys that with me knew what they were doing and took the hoses off the out side of the turbo. Started it up and blew what water was in the system out. Though they told me if it's in the guts of the motor your screwed and call for a tow back home. All good so far.

Pull the glow plugs before the injector's.

Will the motor turn over easy ? Pull the glow plugs before attempting to start to be on the safe side.

On the front of the motor behind the harmonic balancer is the crank angle sensor, that could have been damaged.

Snorkel ?

Dave.

cheers fellas, I think it got a bit of water not sure how much. we did try and start it a few times and it will turn, just not that easy. was going to pull the plugs but didn't have many tools with me. It's in the hands of the insurance company now.
As for a snorkel...No. I'm spewing. hasn't been a great couple of months. My dog died at the beginning of August but not before a massive few vet bills and 5 weeks of being ill. to that end I have been paying off the bills and the Snorkel idea got canned as a result. It may have been the worst $700 I did NOT spend. The bloody ute just had it's first major service two weeks ago too:sad:

WOW man that's no good, we both are having bad times with car's.
atleast you didn't do 5 grand worth of damage to a diff. lol

Mate, hope it works out for you, please keep us updated as you find things out.

I haven't had water in engine trouble before so can't really comment, have my fingers crossed for you though.

Well, I had to bid my trusty Nav farewell today. sounds a bit soft but I was getting a bit choked up over it. I apologized to it for ruining it and walked away.
The mechanics got it running again no probs. turns out not much water got in the engine at all. the exhaust system was pretty full but! Insurance company got a fairly cheap quote to repair it, relative to the value of the vehicle at least but they reckon it's too great a risk down the track and couldn't offer any guarantee as to how long it'd be before the electrical nightmares begin. What I thought was reasonably fresh water wasn't. lesson learned, tail between my legs and off I go. Catch ya's round

Know how you feel sorta, the last car I had served me well for many years. I accidently ran up the back of another car and the NRMA wrote it off.

My brother brought the car off the insurance company and repaired it and its still on the road, he is a panel beater and it wasn't a hard repair.

Good luck mate.

Dave.

I reckon you ute still lives. Either that or someone is using your canopy design. Seen it a few times floating around near nairne.

Bugger.

I thought my Nissan 720 looked thirsty a few years back, so decided to let her drink some creek water. Made it back to Brisbane from Double Island Point (about 100km) on 2 cylinders, white smoke pissing out the back. 2 bent con rods. Drove it round for about a month till I had the coin to fix it up!

Made it back to Brisbane from Double Island Point (about 100km) on 2 cylinders, white smoke pissing out the back. 2 bent con rods. Drove it round for about a month till I had the coin to fix it up!

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back