0v (neg) to any 'ground'?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craighaty7

Reaction score
Auto sparkies, and knowledgable novices:
can I return my zero volts (0v)/negative to any ground on the vehicle - ie, find a metal ground anywhere on the body and use it for lights or access devices?
I'm mounting lights in a few spots - clearance lights on the roof, safety lights on the racks, and daylight running lights on the bullbar, and I'd rather ground them to where they are mounted instead of running and extra cable for 0v.
I'm asking in case there are weird returns from different circuits on these new computerised vehicles.
Navara D40 MY2010
thanks,

Anywhere should be ok. But be carful with roof racks and even sports bars as they might not be earthed

Ground is ground is ground and it's negative right throughout the car, tub, everything.

The problem with using earth points like that is reliability. It's a common enough thing to do - pick up the earth point from somewhere - but if there's a little bit of oxidisation on the join it could affect the performance. The components may become intermittent and sometimes they're bastards to locate.

Earth it where you can.
However just be aware that the tub may not actually have a good earth. I installed a battery isolator in the tub and was only reading 7.8volts from the battery. Once I ran in a new earth to the tub it was back up at 12.

D40 Tub Earth

I second what Aussie Frontier said. I have also put a second battery in the tub but the tub is not earthed well. It is ok for the lights that are OEM fitted but if you are adding any more to it you need to put on a good earth cable to the chassis. I have used two '0' gauge cables in parallel as I also have the ability to start my vehicle from the aux battery in the tub.

Back